Author Topic: New from Oregon  (Read 1076 times)

ron@taylorpaintingofportl

• View Profile
    • Email
New from Oregon
« on: December 28, 2023, 09:46:29 PM »
Had a Simplex when I was 13, now am 77 and working on one again for a friend. The  kick start gear on the flywheel is loose and not a bolted secure. Anyone have a parts picture or photo of how it should look or be attached. Now it is bolted, should it be studs and nuts? Thanks. Ron Taylor is Sherwood, Oregon.

pd

• View Profile
Re: New from Oregon
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 05:04:03 AM »
Welcome Ron . :)

What year is the bike ?  Post some pics of the bike and what you're working on .
You could have a look in our Manuals Only section . Most manuals have parts breakdowns .
Here's a pic of my '57 . The pinion simply threads onto the crankshaft and should be pretty tight . I've never seen a specific torque listed for that .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 01:55:30 PM »
Ron, different years have different flywheels and pinion gears. Post a picture of yours.
Rick

ron@taylorpaintingofportl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 11:13:51 PM »
Hi Rick and all,
   Ron here from Sherwood, Oregon. I've restored several cars, motorcycles and mopeds. This is my first Simplex and it looks like fun. Right off I find the flywheel had been run loose. I was able to restore the threads and get a new nut on. Now I need some advise on this pinion bolt on. Does it bolt flush with the flywheel ? if so I will have to use a short nut. As you can see the pinion bolt holes are hogged out, from running loose?? Thanks in advance for your help.
Ron Taylor
503-349-6608

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 04:38:15 AM »
Hi Ron,

Yes, you need to use a Jam Nut, which are about half the thickness of a standard nut. 

The pinion gear should bolt on flush.  That pinion gear is garbage. Wayne Mahaffey has new ones available.

The threads on the flywheel should be 1/4-20, but they looked like someone may have drilled them out.  Check out this thread for how I like to make a repair. 

https://simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=1528.msg14028#msg14028

The proper stud for the flywheel is 1/4-20 in the flywheel to 1/4-28 on the other end of the stud.  Wayne will also have those studs.

If you need the procedure to remove the flywheel, it can be found on the site. 
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 03:44:47 PM »
Good evening Ron,
I am with Rick on that gear.  Unless you have a way to make and weld a new flange on the gear, that one no longer will stay centered and will probably damage any repair you make to the threads on that expensive hard to find a replacement for flywheel.

That gear centers up using three holes in the flange to fit the three studs on the flywheel.

Hopefully thread inserts will fit, otherwise custom made ones might be needed. 

Good luck.
Scooter

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 04:13:43 PM »
Good evening Ron,
I am with Rick on that gear.  Unless you have a way to make and weld a new flange on the gear, that one no longer will stay centered and will probably damage any repair you make to the threads on that expensive hard to find a replacement for flywheel.

That gear centers up using three holes in the flange to fit the three studs on the flywheel.

Hopefully thread inserts will fit, otherwise custom made ones might be needed. 

Good luck.
Scooter

Scooter, in case you don’t know, even if the center of the flywheel is completely cracked and unusable, Wayne cuts the center out and puts new centers in.  They are made of steel, and fix the problem permanently.
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 11:49:28 AM »
Thank you for letting me know that. 
I wish I were neighbors with Wayne. A lot to be learned.
Scooter