Author Topic: Bike Dissassembly  (Read 2016 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bike Dissassembly
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »
It appears Simplex used the same design process as the outboard motor industry of the times.....nothing is modular.  To pull the engine you gotta get the belt off the tranny & to get the belt off the tranny you gotta pull it apart....unless I'm missing something.

I'm going to pull things off so I can fix up that kick starter shaft, and do some cleaning. 
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bike Dissassembly
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 12:52:12 PM »
Mike, you can remove the flywheel and stator plate, and get to the bolt for the kick start cross shaft.  If you have the twin pipe exhaust, you will have to drop that also.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:00:19 PM »
Hey, I hadn't thought about that.  Thanks for the tip.  I need to pull the flywheel anyway, as one of the plug wires doesn't match the other and the plug boots have both disentegrated.  I'll make a little puller to pop the flywheel off.  Hopefully it's not stuck too tight.

It was nice to see that the pinion gear is symetrical & I can just flip it around because there was a little bit if wear on the teeth out on the end. 
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:40:38 PM »
Hmmm.....who told me this would be a piece of cake????  The homemade puller plate popped the flywheel right off with no issues....but.....pulling the bolts for the magneto took some contortions.....then getting the wires through that hole in the crankcase took some tugging (had to cut the spark plug wires).

Finally being able to reach the nut for the kickstarter shaft, I'm thinking we're about there.....until I find out that the shaft won't come out because it's been welded to the motor base plate (on the underside).  It appears to be factory welds......

It's always something......
Mike Sal