Author Topic: Newbie- intro thread and pics  (Read 3326 times)

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
Newbie- intro thread and pics
« on: February 19, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »
I didn't see another place for a newbie to post an intro so I guess it goes here?
I just got my first Simplex last week. I have loved them since I first saw pics of them. I never knew they existed until I saw a pic online. (I'm young enough that these were long gone when I was a kid) I was looking at websites trying to figure out what kind of homemade scooter I bought at a yard sale and came across a site with all kinds of old motorbikes, scooters, etc. (BTW- the scooter was a cushman front end, mated to a schwinn frame which was mated to the rear part and running gear of a Trail King... why? I don't know) When i saw the simplex I fell in love with the lines.
Anyway, I grew up in So Cal and never saw one of these in person. I had the chance to see this one and some other stuff at an old guy's house last week. I paid too much I think, but he really didn't want to sell it and I really wanted to buy it.
I was told it was a 1950 or 52 with a 150cc motor. I was also told it had a rare front brake. I think now that I have looked around he was wrong and it is much later and there is nothing rare about the front brake.
He probably wasn't lying, probably didn't know. He was an old swap meet rat who had picked a few cool things over the years.
He "restored" it but what I noticed about all his other restorations is the time went into mechanicals, he was no show winning restoration expert. He bead blasted and spray painted most of the parts. The internals were rebuilt, he gave me the receipts for a bunch of the stuff he bought. He did all the bearings, carb, etc.
He never finished it, this is how it sat for the past couple years. The tires are new, there is a new seat but it is not correct and would need a bracket made, all the parts look like they are there. It needs to be put back together. I do have the tank and original exhaust. (that exhaust was a seller for me, I love it)
I plan to re-paint the fenders and tank- hate the color and I can do a better job. (there is a light metallic to the current green- looks wrong!) I am just going to get it back together and ride it. Someday maybe me and my son (6 now) will take it all apart and do a proper resto with powdercoating, chroming, etc.
So here she is, tell me what you think;

(I have more parts, this is just one of the boxes)

Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Newbie- intro thread and pics
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 12:16:55 PM »
Another thing I wanted to add...
The motor number is M21774B and the frame is 14440, anyone know the correct year? The motor is a 125cc right?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 01:33:04 PM »
Hey Elvis, that looks like a good start!  We are trying to compile some bike numbers so we can figure out the years, but I would guess around 1956-57.  It looks like you have most of the parts for it.  

As for engine size, you would have to measure the piston. 125cc - 2" piston   150cc - 2 3/16".

Rick

As for paid too much, I would have given $2000 in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:35:54 PM by RickS »
Rick

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »
So when did the front brake start appearing on these? Was there a model like this (automatic) that came with the 150cc?
No way to tell from the motor number?
Also, what do you guys think this bike is worth, rough guess?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »
Front brakes were found on early bikes and then became an option I believe.  They are actually pretty rare and expensive.  I added one to my 1953 and I think I paid $350 for the front hub, backing plate and brake components such as shoes, cable and lever.

If you look around, most bike have no front brake.  I'm not really sure it is necessary, and when you apply the front brake the front end lifts up on the suspension.  This is because of the front leading axle design and feels a little weird at first.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »
I agree with Rick in thinking it's a 56 or 57, but I'm leaning more on 57 since you've got the Phelon Magneto.  The aircleaner adapter is also different that what I'm used to seeing.  There are 2 ads on ebay right now, one from 56 (an article from a mag) & one from 57.  If you look at them closely, they're very similar (but the thing to remember about ads is sometimes the ad departments used doctored photos.).

From the pictures I've reviewed so far, it looks like they changed the brake pedal from a round tube to the flat pad w/ rubber cover between '55 & '56.

Looks like a good bike.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 03:35:07 PM »
I agree with Rick in thinking it's a 56 or 57, but I'm leaning more on 57 since you've got the Phelon Magneto.  The aircleaner adapter is also different that what I'm used to seeing.  There are 2 ads on ebay right now, one from 56 (an article from a mag) & one from 57.  If you look at them closely, they're very similar (but the thing to remember about ads is sometimes the ad departments used doctored photos.).

From the pictures I've reviewed so far, it looks like they changed the brake pedal from a round tube to the flat pad w/ rubber cover between '55 & '56.

Looks like a good bike.
Mike Sal

The brake pedal changed much earlier than that; 1953 I believe. 
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »
Oops, I think your right.  I had it in my head that I'd seen some 54/55's w/ the round pedal. 
Mike Sal