Author Topic: Automatic Transmission  (Read 15592 times)

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Automatic Transmission
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2012, 06:20:20 PM »
Yeah, unsure of that at the moment nothing is rubbing now but if you think of a potential problem let me know.
Jeremy c.

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »
It's
me again ,,, on the clutch / transmission ,  there was a 10 millimeter shaft with a 3/8 ths fine  thread end to accomidate the metric size of the ball bearing  same on the crankshaft ( 25 mm i.d.) clever use of the available use of "off the shelf items " and engineering  "fudges "   (kinda like poetic license ) made me scratch my head till i figured out not to take things too serously as far as what I thought was the way stuff was suppused to be ,,   I used a medium thickness 10 millimeter flat washer on mine ,,,    Nice work you are doing,    It looks like it will pay off well ,    Take care    Larry.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 08:17:15 AM »
Jeremy, could you please post a picture of the outside fixed pulley side?  My 2 clutches do not use the bushings like yours and have bearings.  I'd like to see the differences.

Thanks, 

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
If Jeremy still has his put together, I can post a pic tonight, as mine is still in pieces.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 01:54:12 PM »
Here is mine before assembly
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »
Thanks.  I See that your bearing fits right on the shaft.  I am not sure if my spacers are stock or not.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 07:14:40 PM »
Here's a shot of the back side of the same type pulley.  There are actually 2 bushings inside, one narrower than the other (probably cheaper than one long bushing).

Yes Rick, there's only 2 ball bearings in this style....one in each end of the center section of the tranny.  There's a long spacer tube inside that's between the 2 bearings so that when you tighten up the axle nuts, you dont side load the bearing races.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 08:58:03 PM »
Thanks Mike.  Mine has the same 2 bearings with spacer on the variable pulley side.  Where it differs is the fixed pulley side has no bushing, just 1 bearing and those spacers I posted earlier.

Rick
Rick

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 06:18:50 AM »
Hey guys, Looking for a trade, My Automatic Transmission for a complet Front brake  assembly. This is a picture of the Transmission . Pulled it off of the bike as an unit did not take it apart, Turns freely.  It is looking for a new home. Bill Marcum 8)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 03:20:14 PM »
Mike what kind of lube do you use on transmissions with the bashing like that. My Brothers bike keeps getting stiff when its not ran for awhile?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2012, 05:46:34 PM »
I used the pink bearing grease when I put it together (we used it for the waterpump bearings we made where I work).  We'll see how it performs.
Mike Sal

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 06:03:51 PM »
Pretty much same grease here ,,, a drop or two of motor oil on the clutch bushing when I check the tires

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »
Finally remembered to measure & photograph the different springs on my rig.  I'm pretty sure the short ones were in the transmission & the long ones were in the brakes, but my memory is getting fuzzy.....

Anyway, I'm wondering which is correct for transmission?  The parts catalogs say it's the same spring for both, but which length is correct?
Mike Sal

Mike ,
I believe you're correct about the shorter springs being for the transmission .

Here's a pic of the springs from my transmission shoes :

Just mussing here , but I have to wonder why none of either pair of your pictured springs are the same . Both pair have different count of coils , spring to spring . To me that says that neither spring of either pair has the same tension as the other within either pair . I would think that that wouldn't be much of an issue for the brakes as the springs simply hold the shoes in place . The transmission might be a bit more critical and seemingly would effect at what RPM the shoes engage the drum . Does anyone know what the ideal engagement RPM should be ? I'm thinking not . Likely , as long as the point of engagement provides a relatively smooth transition from dead stop to full , non-slipping , engagement .
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:56:16 AM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2012, 05:41:28 AM »
I have a connection with a spring company (thru work) & once I finally get my bike running, if I'm not happy with the engagement of the clutch, I'm going to have them wind up a few variations for me.  I have a sneaky feeling that I won't be able to tell much difference just be the way our bikes are designed.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2012, 06:53:50 AM »
I agree with you Mike.  I have used some that I believe to be simplex, some replacements from Wayne and some hardware store ones, all with the same results.  All work just fine.
Rick