Author Topic: tires  (Read 5757 times)

bill marcum

• View Profile
tires
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »
I need to know were I can get some new tires. My Simplex has 26x2.50 tires . Corker Tires has some but I thought some one would have some more leads. The old tires a in real bad shape but maybe some on would like one for a wall hanger  it is an original .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: tires
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:02:24 PM »
Coker is the manufacturer of the Simplex tires.  They are also available through Wayne Mahaffey, as well as Summit Racing.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:21:13 PM »
my bike has brand new (but 15 years old) Schwinn Typhoon Cord tires on it, 2.125".  I don't think they have any miles on them due to the presence of the molding flash still on the tread face.  They look pristine with no age cracks (probably from being inside & out of the sun all this time).  I"m going to see if I can sell them to someone who's a schwinn collector & then buy the expensive correct tires.  The Schwinns don't look too bad on those wide rims thou....
Mike Sal

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 05:42:18 PM »
Thank for the reply. I do not think I am going to go 50 MPH on bicycle tires that are 15 years old. I just started on my project about 2 weeks ago , it has been in the attic of my garage for about 15 years. I started looking for tires , and Rick mention Summit , I checked there and so far that is the best place to buy them, they are made buy Corker tire.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 06:33:30 PM »
What did you plug in at the summit site to find the tires?

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 07:14:37 PM »
Looks like the Coker 74778 is the one for you. Could be a lot worse than $126 ea if you had to go completely custom. Good thing they are still making them for the older gear heads out there. So how do they hold up would be my next thought...
jack of all trades, master of none...

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 04:32:17 AM »
A lot of the motor bicycling guys that want to go fast have started using these as they are rated to 92 mph, I was told.  They report very little wear as compared to the alternative, which is a bicycle ballon tire. I also use motorcycle tubes with screw-in valve stems.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 06:37:09 PM »
Here's photo of the Schwinn tires that was on my bike.  Thought I'd offer them here before I tried to sell them anywhere else.  Let me know if interested.  Not sure what a fair price is.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »
I started to order some tires from Summit & by the time they add the "special handling" charges & such, the bill for 2 tires is 263 dollars.....
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »
That is a big increase since last year!  I paid $227 last june.

Rick
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 06:43:30 PM »
I just got a new price list from Wayne, and he had an increase from $122 to $130 per tire.  It seems as if Coker Tire has had a lot of price increases lately as the cost of oil has gone through the roof.

Rick
Rick

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 06:35:10 PM »
 ;DJust got my tire from Summit Racing. Nice tires.  Wish they were made in the USA :(     One small step for man kind, One large step for me. Bill Marcum

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:57:43 PM by bill marcum »

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 09:21:07 PM »
my bike has brand new (but 15 years old) Schwinn Typhoon Cord tires on it, 2.125".  I don't think they have any miles on them due to the presence of the molding flash still on the tread face.  They look pristine with no age cracks (probably from being inside & out of the sun all this time).  I"m going to see if I can sell them to someone who's a schwinn collector & then buy the expensive correct tires.  The Schwinns don't look too bad on those wide rims thou....
Mike Sal

Mike-
You asked me about those tires when I first signed on to this site. I looked on ebay and based on the guys pricing, who always charges too much
($95 shipped for a pair of NOS) I'd say $75 shipped for the pair would be fair. JUST MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:22:43 PM by Dominic DiMarko »

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 06:57:35 PM »
This is my experience with tires when I was doing my bike. After working with Gary with my parts list one day he called me to ask if I was interested in purchasing orginal tires. I said yes and he gave Coker my info. This is a copy of what they sent me. Seems the price has went up since then! It's been 20 years too. Might be that old "supply and demand" thing as it seems there are more of us coming out of the woodwork! Be interesting to learn what their production run numbers are.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 07:25:15 PM »
That's a cool piece of history you got there.  At least we know the history of these tires now don't we.  Us new guys appreciate you "old timers" dedication to get these tires made.  It would be interesting to know what Coker's annual sales have been since '92.

Dominic, I hadn't thought about using ebay to price comparing to see what my tires were worth.  If I can get 50-60 bucks for them, that's enough offset to justify the new ones.  I may wait & take them to Portland so any prospective buyer can see what they're getting without paying shipping.
Mike Sal