Author Topic: Title Issues  (Read 15864 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Title Issues
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:29:54 PM »
My bike didn't have a title.  I've got a notorized bill of sale & thought it wouldn't be much hassle to get one.......

The state of Illinois wants a notorized appraisal (there's nobody in this neck of the woods that will provide this service for me) as well as a bond.

I thought I'd use one of those title services, as some of the model T guys said they had luck with them.  First I started to try International Title Service, in Nevada.  I couldn't get anybody to answer the phone....then found a boatload of complaints about them on youtube. 

Then I tried Clark County Liens, who did answer the phone, but isn't sure if Nevada will issue a title to a vehicle with such a short VIN number.  He's going to call me back in a few days after he checks it out.  Cost would be $400.00  WOW......

Maybe I'd be better off just going thru Illinois......if I can find somebody to give me an appraisal......I'm sure I'll have to stick the bike back together before they can do that......It's always something......

How have the rest of you handled lost titles?
Mike Sal

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
Re: Title Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »
I don't know if others have done it but would a Mechanics Lien work if you don't know the official previous name/prior owner? Also, are we sure that ALL of the Servi-Cycles had registrations/were "titled" before? If it didn't maybe it's just filing for a new title.

What did they want for the Bond? The appraisal (take the trip to Portland - somebody there should be able to do that) and Bond may be easier.

Just a couple of thoughts, I could be and often am wrong but then I'm not getting paid for it.. :)
jack of all trades, master of none...

simplexguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:18:52 PM »
In Illinois you can apply for a Bonded Title. What you need is an appraisal of the Bike and your Insurance Carrier can sell you a bond  for the appraised value. You then can apply for a Bonded Title. This title will let you License the bike, but you can't sell the bike for at least 3 years. The reasoning is that if anyone would make claim to the bike within the 3 years your  bond would be forfeited to the claimant. If no one makes claim, you will be issued a clear title after the 3 years. Yes it's a pain , but you can receive a title and be able to license your bike. Usually the bond will be between 10 and 25 cents on the dollar. witch you will get most back at the end of the period. Stop by your local Drivers license facility and ask for information on The Bonded title. In Illinois nothing is easy, but I have found this is less painful. Any Dealer with a letterhead can give you an appraisal. Good luck

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the advise.  Ya, I'm going to talk to my insurance guy tomorrow about a bond.  We have one motorcycle dealer in our county & he refused to consider doing an appraisal for me (I just don't understand....it's free money....).  I'm going to call the harley dealer (in the next town over....he collects antique bikes) to see if he can offer an appraisal.  I'll probably have to load the bike up & take it the 45 miles over there for him to see it.

No worries about selling the bike.....that'll be my heirs problem.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:42:41 PM »
Well after some frustration, the ball is starting to roll a little.  Found an auctioneer who will do the appraisal, and the lady at the insurance company is doing some homework on issueing a bond (she's never done one before.....).  Hopefully things will keep going in a positive direction.
Mike Sal

RodneyS

• It just fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »
   Yeah it can be a hassle just finding out what to do. But we are fortunate in Shawnee Oklahoma we have a lady that will do a title 42 for 150.00 and about a 4 week wait. I had my Denpr side car rig that had never had a title done. and will do my simplex the same way in about a month.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 04:32:15 PM »
what kind of side car bike do you have?  Several guys have used the chinese versions to convert to German ww2 (bmw fakes).  I spent a lot of time riding in one this past weekend (ya, I was one of the bad guys).
Mike Sal

RodneyS

• It just fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 07:34:49 PM »
mike,
     Its a Dnepr MT-16 650cc in shiny camo. It was bought as a kit and when they couldnt get it to run they left it out side. so had some rust it shouldnt have had. It had 12 kilometers on it when I got it. my brother got it going for me he is the mechanic and I am the machinist. Its as cool as my Simplex still need to put belts on it, maybe on spring break. So what do you drive when you are a bad guy? ;D

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 07:52:01 AM »
Got bad news yesterday. I want to be able to ride my Simplex on the road . So I need a title in Michigan, they are classifing it as a motorcycle. I do not have a regestration or a title . to get a title I need to get it inspected , The motorcycle has to be safe and road worthy. That means that I need to install a front brake, turn signals, generator, high and low beam headlight. Some of the up grades I do not want to do but I will . The bike will not be orignal but it is better than having it up in the attic of the garage collecting dust. Biggest problem that I think I will run into is a generator and how to hook to up. I already bought a Honda GC160 and do not want to spend the money again for a motor with a generating system already part of the engine. If anyone has any sugestions please let me know. Bill Marcum

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 08:11:05 AM »
Bill, can't you register it as an antique vehicle?  There a lot of guys in Michigan who've put together Model T's from parts (almost every thing will interechange) & have to get titles for them......they don't have to modernize them.  If you want, I'll see if any of the michigan guys can offer some advise & will hook you up with their contact info if you want.  Just let me know.
Mike Sal

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »
Bill, I seem to remember BJM telling me he put a charging coil on his GC.  Not sure how it was done.
Rick

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 03:06:43 PM »
Originality not being a concern would one of the newer round LED Headlights and a Tail light be a viable option? And allow for a much smaller concern about generating power.
jack of all trades, master of none...

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »
Just talked to BJM , very nice guy with a lot of the information I needed to put the Honda GC160 motor in my bike ,Mounting plate and some brackets , he has a guy that can flow jet them out. He also has some information, about the need to have the engine produce some electricty to run the lights.  Talking with him was a great releif and help, as is this Simplex Site . When I get the information I will pass it on to the web site if it is alright with BJM. Yes a seal beam headlight is in the future for this Simplex and I do not want a Antiuqe Title for my bike because I want to ride it when ever I want to, not just to events or parades. Thanks for the help every one. Things are starting to take shape . Bill Marcum

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 02:54:44 PM »
Yipee, got my appraisal back today.  Tomorrow I'll swing back by the insurance office & from there the DMV with a bond to cover the title.  Wish me luck!
Mike Sal 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »
After 4 trips to the friendly NYS DMV,  I have my 1953 registered!  It was a little bit of a hassle, as every time I went back they wanted something different.  I have it registered as a motorcycle, not what I really wanted, but, hey, beggars can't be choosers!  I would have liked it to be registered as a class B moped, therefore no motorcycle license would have been required.

I needed insurance, bill of sale from previous owner, picture of engine or frame number, and documentation of weight.

Good luck to you other guys!

Rick
Rick