Author Topic: Title Issues  (Read 15863 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Title Issues
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 10:11:02 AM »
I'm still waiting for my insurance bond to come back.  I dropped it off last week & they said it would take about a week.  Once I have that, it's back to the DMV to apply for the title & registration.
Mike Sal

OEM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »
In Texas, our auto registeration is handled through the office of the county Tax Accessor/Collector.  There is a form that this office provides for obtaining a motor vehicle title.  The form is partially filled out by a law enforcement officer who runs the VIN number of the vehicle and determines that there is not a recorded title nor outstanding fines.  The tax accessor then inspects the vehicle, makes a picture of the serial number and completes the remainder of the one-page form.  I believe the total cost is $2.00 and you receive the title within a week.  I have done this with Bultaco motorcycles ....most of which were never titled, but now must be if ridden off road on federal land. This process is called a tax-title-hearing. I plan to do this with the 52 Simplex

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »
Maybe I should have one of my friends in Texas register my bikes for me. It's definitely not that easy (or cheap) in California.

Vince

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 08:08:05 PM »
I picked up forms at Illinois dmv the other day for the bonded title ,interesting to see how it goes for Mike as I will have to do exactly the same thing. On a side note this has to be the best march weather ever recorded in central Illinois ,unbelievable !
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 09:11:05 PM »
All winter long when it was dry, I couldn't get a contractor out here to pour my concrete for the building.  Now that it's finally done & the weather is great, it rains every other day......I've got almost all the lumber pre-cut & ready to go, but need a few dry days.  I've been working till dark every evening in a t-shirt.....pretty nice for March.  We hit 83 today & supposed to be the same tomorrow.

After I put the lumber project up for the evening, I go over to the shop to tinker with the Simplex parts.  finished the clutch tonight & painted some small parts.

I'll let you know how the title thing goes.  I'm going to call the insurance company tomorrow to see what the status is.
Mike Sal

hardhead

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »
Went insurance broker and insured my 54 as an add on with my 82 harley.  Went the nys dmv with weight slip, MV 82, DFT 802, MV 51B  and check book. Came home with nontransferable registration and a plate. Should get a transferable registation in 4 to 6 weeks " IF" Albany says everything is alright.    Tom
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:28:01 AM by admin »

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 07:49:59 PM »
Got the call from the insurance guy that my title bond arrived today & I picked it up on my way to the powder coating shop.  Wound up with a $2100 bond which cost me 50 bucks.  Next step is to hit the DMV tomorrow.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.  All of the gals at our local branch are fairly new & I'm sure will need some hand holding.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »
30 minutes with the gal at the dmv & my documents, and my money (95 for title application, 38 for the plate, and 25 for taxes) are on their way to Springfield, IL.  I think this was the first bonded title application she ever worked on, so wish me luck.  She said it could be 6 to 8 weeks before the title & plate shows up. 

Once you get your bond document from the insurance company, it is a 2 page document of which you have to sign w/ a notary.  These goes with the rest of the documents (the 3 from the State, the notarized bill of sale, & the appraisal) along with your 2 checks to the state.

Let's hope ole Abe is smilin' down at me on this....
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 04:52:52 PM »
One of the few nice things about dealing with New York State is they give you plates on the spot and then figure out if it's legal!

Rick
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 06:21:18 PM »
I figured Illinois would pile up the paper work, they always do.
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »
I need to start this process rolling here pretty soon. One thing mentioned by Mike that bothers me is the notorized Bill of sale. I don't have anything.
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 03:51:10 PM »
I took some advise from one of the model T guys & had a buddy "sell" me the bike (after I went on line with the illlinois secretary-o-state's website to see if the frame or motor number were not in their system).  I didn't have a notorized b.o.s. from the guy I bought it from either & I wasn't going to make a 3 hour drive back to get one from him either.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »
Sounds like good advice,did your buddy have to sign in front of the notary
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 04:45:14 PM »
Depends on how well you know the notary.  My wife works for an attorney & she & her co-worker are both notarys, so that part was no problem for me.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 04:51:55 PM »
Mike, I was just on the sec. Of state site and ran the frame no. Says last title issuance1984. And title is recorded as junked wonder what this could mean for me.
Jeremy c.