Author Topic: Title Issues  (Read 15862 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Title Issues
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »
After two rejections, my application which was sent off to the state of Illinois way back in March was finally rewarded yesterday when a license plate & registration showed up in my mailbox.  Hopefully, a title will also show up soon.

I'm glad I wasn't in a hurry......
Mike Sal

Mike, Tom and I expect to be riding with you in Portland!   If we are feeling our oats, we can go race on the road next to the fairgrounds!!  LOL

Mike, is your bike running yet?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:33:12 PM by RickS »
Rick

simplexguy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »
Congratulations Mike, Isn't Illinois a great state? If you applied for a Bonded Title, you can register and ride your bike now but you probably won't get your title until the bond period is up.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2012, 07:15:17 PM »
I had forgotten about the bond period....your probably right.  I'll have to check on that.....If I remember correctly, it'll be 2 years before the bond expires.  At least I've got a registration & plate now so I can get some insurance on it.

Rick, I don't have it running yet, as I was going to pull the motor so I can pin the piston rings.  I came down with a bad head cold this weekend, so was only able to play in the shop a little bit today.  I did get an adapter bracket made to fit the new licence plate & original holder bracket (just a strip of steel with a couple bends in it & 4 holes).  I put a piece of sticky backed foam rubber on the back of the plate to keep it from rubbing the paint on the back fender.

I've also been working on polishing up the magneto cover.  There were a few spots of corrosion which have left behind ruff textered areas that I need to bump out so I can sand them down, but that's a lot of work & I'm feelin lazy.  I wish reproductions were available.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »
Congrats on getting through the mud hole , Mike . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2012, 02:12:56 AM »
You are right Rick.  Looking forward to seeing as many web rides as possible! 

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2012, 04:30:04 PM »
Yipee.....it's a festivas miracle!!!  I now have in my hands a new clear Illinois title for my Simplex!!!  Apparantly I didn't have to wait for the bond to expire.

I hope I get some time to work on it this weekend.  I've got the gaskets for pulling the motor down to work on the piston.  I've got to solder on new sparkplug wires onto the coil too. 
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2012, 06:01:42 PM »
Excellent , Mike .

I'll have to go through a similar ordeal when I apply for a title for my bike . I recall having one , 48 years ago . That was then and I've long since misplaced it . I never had it put in my name , so that may be something else to deal with .

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 09:57:09 AM »
This may help for the Michigan guys. I am going to the SOS soon and will be trying this. Here is a link to some guys who have had luck with other cycles.
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31910

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »
The process of obtaining a certified legal Michigan state title , from start to finish for a 'never been titled or registered' bike ( My 1989 Yamaha XT350 ) , was easier than I had anticipated . It took 6 days . That included getting a TR54 form from the Secretary of States office ; having a Michigan State Trooper inspect the bike and complete the TR54 ; returning to the Secretary of States office and applying and waiting for the actual title to arrive in the snail box ( this part took 5 days ) .

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2013, 07:55:31 AM »
Since I could not find anyone to give me an appraisal, I was able to call my insurance company. They issued a surety bond for the Simplex. It cost $100. I then took it with the bill of sale to the Michigan SOS and applied for a title. I should see it in a couple weeks.  :o

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2013, 10:08:21 AM »
I hate you guys......

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2013, 10:13:56 AM »
I have a nice crisp green Michigan title in hand for my bike! This gives me the green light to pour even more stupid money into it. It took about 6 weeks for it to come but I am free and clear to do what I please with it. Yesssssss

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2013, 12:15:43 PM »
Excellent . :)

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »
Good news for a fustrated Simplex owner. After trying to get it apprased with no one ( about 20 phone calls to dealers and 5 personal visits to dealers ) wanting to appraise it. CJ's Cycle & Marine of Ypsilanti, Michigan 734-485-1482 did i for me. Got my Simplex apprased and went to the Michigan SOS Thursday and they ran some kind of search . Today I returned to the Michigan SOS and they let me apply for a title. Should be in the mail in about 2 weeks. With the hard part done now I am ready to start again on my project again. Bill Marcum 8)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2013, 04:38:28 PM »
Bill ,
Congratulations .
Way to be patient . Not that you had any choice ... ;)

I'm curious . What did you have them appraise exactly ? A roller with a motor in it or ???
Did they give a dollar figure or was it a safety appraisal ?
What form did the SOS give you to have the appraisers fill out ? Does the form have an ID# ?

I'm sorry about asking so many questions , but I'll have to go through the same hoopla when I get back to Michigan this Spring . Hopefully , I can get a title for my bike .

I wonder if owning the bike for some 48 years will help . 

Thanks in Advance . :)