Author Topic: Title Issues  (Read 15866 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Title Issues
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2013, 06:24:06 PM »
Getting the appraisal was the hardest part of the whole deal for me.  By the time the state rejected my first appraisal (from an auction company), I had already dismantled the bike.  It was halfway put together by the time I found a Polaris dealer that would give me an appraisal.  They were very understanding & had no problem fixing me up. 
Mike Sal

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2013, 07:03:16 PM »
In Michigan, an appraisal is not needed. You can contact your insurance company and ask them for a surety bond.
You explain that you can not find an appraisal. I paid $100 for the bond. I told them it was worth $1500 so they issue a bond for $3000. You then take the bond to the SOS and get a title. It takes 6 weeks going this route. Its all done by hand.

Info from the SOS
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-48268-29806--F,00.html

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2013, 02:39:13 PM »
Hey  fellow Simplex riders, Good news today , go my Michigan title in the mail. It is a good feeling to have it. Time to get started again on gettig her road worthy. Bill Marcum 8) ;D :D :) ;)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2013, 06:36:39 PM »
Congratulations. Glad to here hear that hit a wall on getting mine title done. Can't find my receipt for it and no bill of sale so I can't prove I own it. So if I can figure something out it sounds somewhat easy to get it done here. Bu congratulations again.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »
Congratulations Bill . :)

One more legal owner . ;)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »
Update on my title issue. Found where I used paypal to do the sale told them on the phone that I had no bill of sale. I have to take off work early to drive a hundred miles to a police station that has a auto theft division so they can inspect it and the first thing they ask for is a bill of sale. Well a hour or so later I have the form that now has to go to the courthouse within 30 days or its null in void. Planning on trying to get there Friday I hope. That will be just step two of how many who knows.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:05:51 AM by RickS »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2013, 11:06:02 AM »
Good luck Reese!
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »
Good luck.  It only took me 8 months to get mine titled....
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
Best of luck , Reese .

It only took me about a week to gain clear fresh Michigan title for the XT350 that I built on a frame that had never even been registered , let alone titled .

I have to wonder why some states are so bond up in red tape . Job security , maybe ???
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »
I'm afraid I'm gonna be in the same boat, I traded for mine over 20 yrs ago, and didn't get a bill of sale either. I know the guy, so I might be able to look him up, but wondering if it is gonna be worth all the hassle.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2013, 04:19:26 AM »
Most DMVs only keep records for approx. 7 years so, if the bike/moped hasn't had a license plate/tabs on it for 7 years or more, you will need to fill out the form applying for title and supply pictures of both sides of vehicle and a explaination of how you came into possession of said bike. (bought at garage sale, etc...)  Usually, depending on the particular state, bonding isn't required for vehicles under $2000 value and title will be mailed.  When the forms are delivered to DMV with application for title and the pictures, the plates/tabs are issued after fees are paid.  If for some reason they deny issueing title, a letter is sent to you asking that you surrender the license plate that was issued and more steps need to be taken. (DOT inspection) Calling it a moped makes things easier but you just have to "lie" a little on engine size and top speed.  (less than 2 H.P. and 30mph technically)  Mine was a 1948 so no VIN so I just used the engine number.  I have done this process at least a dozen times and only once did I get a letter asking for more proof of "roadworthiness" which was taken care of by a local cop who wrote up a letter saying the bike met his standards for street use.