Author Topic: 58 rear wheel  (Read 2935 times)

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
58 rear wheel
« on: February 24, 2012, 07:25:47 PM »
Hi, my name is Jeremy. I just joined today. I have a 58 automatic I started working on it about two weeks ago . Anyone know how to remove rear wheel pulley it looks like a wire is encased in the outer lip of the pulley but it is very rusty ,and sure to break if I pry on it.
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 58 rear wheel
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:42:26 PM »
I'll be trying to figure this out myself if I ever get my order from Wayne (new spokes).  I've not taken my tire & wheel off the bike yet, but a quick glance makes me think that wire will have to come out of one side of the pulley to allow it to expand enough to get off the edge of the rim.

Most of the guys on here have bolted on pulleys.  Not sure when they changed to the clip on pulley, but it appears to have been in '57.
Mike Sal

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 07:25:58 AM »
How about a picture(s) of the stubborn part?
jack of all trades, master of none...

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »
Well,I talked to Wayne yesterday he said that wire will slide apart about a 1/4inch and then pry pulley off. However mine was to rusty to survive all the prying I suspected this so I had called Wayne before starting removal he has only the bolt on kind which is what I will have to go back with .Wayne said the clamp type pulley was prone to flying off if the tire got low on air ,and this is why he only repops the bolt on pullys
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 11:39:08 AM »
Wheel
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 11:51:08 AM »
.broken
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 12:04:59 PM »
That doesn't look too good.  Hopefully mine will not be that difficult.  It's not rusty (the whole wheel had been repainted 10-15 years ago).  With the tire full of air, Mine is a solid as a rock (no looseness between the pulley & rim).  It's shame you can't restore your original pulley.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 12:26:33 PM »
Yeah,to bad but its gone .on the brite side both wheels were very solid after the wire wheel on a die grinder and a few coats of fill primer all is well going to respoke,but that comes later going to spend some time on getting that little motor fired.
Jeremy c.