Author Topic: eBay & Craigslist finds  (Read 20119 times)

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
eBay & Craigslist finds
« on: February 25, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »
Maybe this might be a good thread to post all our Craigslist and ebay finds here. We have a similar Sticky Thread on another forum where we post our finds and discuss if it's worth whats being asked, if someone has seen the find in person, etc...  Sometimes it saves people from going down the wrong road.

I'll kick it off with one I've seen in the next post (1 per post).

It'll also keep the rest of the Buy/Sell section free for showcasing members selling their OWN (and known) vehicles.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:07:27 AM by Driver »
jack of all trades, master of none...

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
Re: eBay & Craigslist finds: 4 "vintage" simplex's
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:50:57 AM »
This ones been up for several weeks out in Orange County, California:

vintage simplex - $4000 (newport)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2012-01-29, 1:06PM PST
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From left to right:

Original Simplex Sportsman frame and forks that are flat black powder coated, with a Robin Subaru 7hp electric start engine with alternator. Top speed 55mph and 80 mpg. $5,000

Original Simplex servi-cycle with 125cc two spark plug engine, powder coated wheels and stainless steel spokes. 36mph, 100mpg $4,000

Modified Simplex V-twin, flat and gloss black powder coated. 20hp electric start engine with alternator, dual exhaust, very fast, front and rear brakes. 65mph, 65 mpg. $5,500

Original blue Simplex automatic 125cc hear it run. 36mph, almost 100mpg. $5,000

Modified Simplex V-twin 25hp electric start, nothing stock on this one.

I don't know about other people, but $5K (+ the costs involved to go get it) for a modified Non-Original Simplex seems steep to me. At $5K I'd expect a museum quality full on original bike, original engine. I don't think aftermarket engines add value, they detract unless you are looking for a daily driver and even then I wouldn't believe one should pay more for those.

And the tiny picture just sucks. 5 bikes, why not a good picture of each bike?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:52:30 PM by Driver »

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: eBay & Craigslist finds
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »
I would agree ,aftermarket parts shouldn't increase value mine has sit untouched for years because I felt it should be brought back to original.
Jeremy c.

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 11:44:03 AM »
Yeah, the guy in newport is nuts. He has had them for awhile. The guy I got mine from said it worth worth more because, "look at the guys selling them for $5000!"
I ended up getting mine for $2200. (cleaned up and complete, mechanicals all rebuilt and new tires, tubes, etc. It needs to be finished being put back together though- and it has the front brake)

On a side note; what are the thoughts about a classified section on the site? Maybe even one open to non-members? I belong to some other sites and you can get some good posts from non-members who just want to sell "grampas old clutter" and not be a member.
Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 11:47:33 AM »
Of course, the other side to this threadf is you bring attention to ads online, even non-members can read them. Then if there is an item in your neck of the woods you are interested in you have to deal with everyone else getting involved.
Often times I find when buying old rust that tons of emails come in, then the buyer thinks he is sitting on gold and won't sell. "I don't want to drop the price, I've had 10 emails on it today"
They don't know that 99% of the emails aren't serious, dreamers or spams, etc.
Makes it tough....

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 12:08:27 PM »
I have received several requests for a Buy/Sell forum and will take care of that in the next day or so.

Rick
Rick

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 01:45:45 PM »
Cool Rick.
Ever thought of a members only thread where we can post info about deals and available bikes we hear about, etc but the general public doesn't see? For example, if anyone finds something in CA, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Problem is, there might be dozens of people lurking who would want that info too.
Just a thought...

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »
I know the forum software will allow for locked threads and such, but for a Buy/Sell area it would have to be fairly open otherwise new people couldn't offer them to us.

Now with that said this thread on Craigslist and eBay finds, if kept up to date and followed up on, will tell the tale so to speak. Because if it's eBay one can always do a followup posting for what something went for, regardless if it was pulled and relisted, etc... I've seen it work on other forums.

I would suggest though if you post a link, copy and paste the text from the listing and maybe grab the pict(s) and attach it as well. That way even after it's long gone we can refer back to what it looked like and what something brought $.

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
Re: eBay & Craigslist finds : 1953 Simplex Servi-Cycle Automatic
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »
From http://cushmanclubofamerica.com/buyselltrade/cforsale.html  :

1953 Simplex Servi-Cycle Automatic.
Was restored from a very nice original bike. No body work except paint. Enhine was completely rebuilt. A very nice bike. $3600.
Contact: Bob Cook, 4780 Chumuckla Hwy., Pace, Florida 32571. Ph: 850.994.7539.
E-Mail: < rwcook@mchsi.com >. (posted: 2/23/12).

This was recently mentioned in another thread, looks nice, wish I had my Nikon D300 rig sold, I'd make a offer, he's also selling 2 other Cushmans at the moment. I have emailed him though.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:57:54 PM by Driver »

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 07:55:55 PM »
Have you guys noticed the model M motor on ebay from the Cleveland area?  From the number (M14741B), it's probably a '53 or '54 model (?).  Up to 380 bucks so far.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 08:09:41 PM »
I looked at it.  It looks very rough.  Check the exhaust port;  it looks like the lower studs are stripped.  The cylinder has a bent, possibly broken, fin on the top.  The compression plate has an oversize bolt in one of the holes.  The carb looks pretty rusty and crusty.  The flywheel is missing the studs, which leads me to believe they may be stripped also.  If it were near me I would go look in person and then make a decision.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »
I sent the guy a note about the motor.  He doesn't have any history, or knowledge of the frame it may have come from.
Mike Sal

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 10:38:02 PM »
FS Servi Cycle Auto. - $2,000 (Nw Okc )

Date: 2012-02-25, 10:47PM CST
Reply to: 7bm3g-2871312521@sale.craigslist.org

looking to sell my servi cycle project. Asking $2000.00 OBO 405 974 9524 Ian

::) Methinks this one will sit for awhile....
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:40:16 PM by Driver »

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 08:10:50 AM »
Especially, KNOW that bike in the prev post will sit for awhile when something like this is a much more complete Cycle (I've already emailed this guy on this one, wating on a reply):

fayetteville, AR craigslist > for sale / wanted > motorcycles/scooters - by owner

1952 Simplex Servi-Cycle Flyer - $1700 (Rogers, AR)

Date: 2012-02-25, 9:35AM CST
Reply to: qb6kb-2870057809@sale.craigslist.org

125cc, Model M. Fair original condition - rebuilt engine. Parts known - not original: tires, tubes, handle bar, exhaust pipe system. Available with : glass fuel filter bowl, reproduced parts manual, book about the history of the servi-cycle by Gary Wollard, various accumulated notes and articles about the manufacturer.
Known issues: needs more restoration, lights are not working. Last time actually driven was in 1957. The bike (owned by a school friend), was damaged at the time and being trashed. my friend gave it to me.I put it back together and rode it until the flywheel came loose and cracked the keyway. When the internet came along, I was able to get some contacts for parts and on Simplex collectors.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 03:34:38 PM by Driver »

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
Lexington (Stanford), Ky
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 08:19:05 AM »
And another one... seems too $teep as well, waiting on more info for the other 3 they are selling.

lexington craigslist > for sale / wanted > motorcycles/scooters - by owner

1954 Simplex Servi Cycle - $3500 (Stanford, Ky)

Date: 2012-02-22, 10:26AM EST
Reply to: sdrvc-2842564505@sale.craigslist.org

$3500 CASH or possible trade
Have all the parts to finish. These bikes were made in New Orleans from 1939-1960
Have a total of four for sale.

Call Jim @ 606-669-5699 before 9 PM