Author Topic: Belts  (Read 7246 times)

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
Belts
« on: February 25, 2012, 11:43:25 AM »
Anyone know what the belt size should be between the motor and transmission on my 58
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: primary belt
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 11:58:09 AM »
Short Belt BX25
Long Belt BX75
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 12:04:27 PM »
Thanks for the info ,between this site and Wayne this project should be smooth going!
Jeremy c.

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 05:15:50 PM »
Rick,

Would you happen to know the belt size for a 1947 model? I would assume the earlier models are different than the the later automatics.

Vince

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 05:39:22 PM »
Rick,

Would you happen to know the belt size for a 1947 model? I would assume the earlier models are different than the the later automatics.

Vince

Sorry, I don't.  When you find out, please post it for future reference.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:32:10 AM »
Anybody know what modern part numbers relate to both of the belts used on late model bikes.  I stopped by the farm store yesterday (had to buy more nails for the building) & the kid behind the counter just had a puzzled look on his face when I gave him those "BX25 & 75" numbers.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 12:46:23 PM »
Mike, each manufacturer uses their own part number.  A B belt is 5/8 wide, the X stands for cogged, and the inside length number is the last digits.  B belt outside length is the number plus 3 inches. A BX75 has an outside length of 78 inches.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:13:19 PM »
Makes sense.  I'll check at another farm store that typically has older guys. I had forgotten to take the old belts (which are in good condition, but just really old) with me & the kid was clueless.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 08:41:50 PM »
I read a post by Larry on another topic stating that the older style bolt on pullys were a smaller diameter , would this effect belt size ? All Wayne sells are the older style as replacements for the clip ons.
Jeremy c.

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 06:53:14 PM »
 Hello ,,, I was refering to my old simplex step through scooter,...   The early ones had a bolt on pulley and about 1959 started to weld on a larger pulley directly on the pressed ( or spun ) steel rim ,    also later models had larger diameter  Idler pulleys ,    There were on the servicycles , at least a couple sizes of intermediate pulleys, member clwebster just purchased a primary belt from wayne, so I think that one would fit yours, ,,,,,,best to measure ,   I keep pieces of broken belts to wrap around pulleys to measure and get greatest accuracy,    Best wishes ,,,,, : Larry.   p.s.   glad your engine is running ,  that must have been a real brain squeeze ! ???   You get at least 10 gold stars for trying and an A+ for effort !      ;D

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »
Thanks Larry, my attention has turned to staying at the lake in our rv and trail riding with the kids and all that summer stuff. I'll finish the bike this winter I hope , see you all at some events next summer !
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 07:05:38 PM »
It appears the clip on rear pulley (I've not seen any that were welded on) was introduced in '55 or '56  As far as I can tell from photographs, it's the same diameter as the bolt on pulleys.  My clip on pulley measures 21.25 inches in diameter.
Mike Sal

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »
Hi there ,,, the pulleys were welded on the late model motorscooters ,  not the servicycles ,   the pulleys were bigger and they made for a better drivability,

james c

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 06:14:21 PM »
are these belt sizes for the servicycles? or scooters? looking for a belt source and brand name including sizes for
my serial 13797 servicycle. thanks in advance

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »
Those belts I posted above are for any Simplex Automatic.  Most auto parts stores should stock these.
Rick