Author Topic: Throttle Control  (Read 1536 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Throttle Control
« on: March 11, 2012, 05:36:30 PM »
Worked most of the weekend on the garage project.  My back is killin' me.....It started to rain, so I packed up that project (only to see it stop after just a sprinkle.....cost me 3 hours of work time.....)

Anyway, took some time to finish the dissassembly of the frame (getting that cotter pin out of the kick stand bolt was a pain) & handlebar.  What holds the inner piece (# 765 "insert") in the handle bar?  Mine dosn't seem to want to pull out.  Do I have to remove the long screw (#766 "Clamping washer, screw & lockwasher")?  Also, the manual shows a piece that my bike doesn't have (#770 "reinforcing insert").  Should I have this piece, or is it something that got eliminated in later models?
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Throttle Control
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »
Part #765 has a double taper. As you tighten the screw, #766, it pulls the cams together, which grip the inside of the handle bars. I asked Wayne the same question, as his kit doesn't come with #770 either.  He said the part was not needed as he makes the parts out of a heavier gauge than the originals.  I wonder if simplex did that also in the latter years.  Of the three bikes I have, none still had the original twist throttle on them. They aware all missing, and two of them were replace by a half-assed pull brake throttle.  The only thing I did to the one from Wayne was run a sanding scroll inside part #762, this made the action much smoother, and fit better over the new handlebars.

Rick
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 05:58:58 PM »
Oh, btw, if you tap #765 into the handlebar slightly, after loosening the screw, it should pop loose.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 06:44:20 PM »
Thanks Rick.  Actually, I had to clamp #765 in a vice & gently twist back & forth to get it to loosen up.  After I got it out the wedge clamp concept makes sense (the drawings in the catalog were just too vague to get a handle on it). 

All the parts are in good condition & there are no corrosion issues, other than the bad chrome on the handlebar itself. 

I sure wish Walmart had not killed all the bicycle companies in America.  I used to work for AMF wheel goods division (we made the red & white triccycles you rode when you were a little kid...we were the worlds largest maker of trikes.....after walmart got done with us the name was changed to Roadmaster).  I had access to all kinds of bending equipment in the model shop & the plating room.  If I had only known, I could have made up things like handlebars.
Mike Sal