Author Topic: Wheel Paint  (Read 6160 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wheel Paint
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:06:32 PM »
When I dropped off the frame & parts at the powder coater today, I had them look at the rims to see if they could match the original color (a little more yellow toned than the cream color they had been re-painted).  He didn't have anything close, & didn't want to order a whole bottle of paint for such a small job.  This means I'm probably looking at a spray bomb or having a local body shop mix up some paint.

What's everyone else been using for rims & hubs.  This summer when several of us are together at Portland, I'd like us to match as much as possible (having 5 different shades of ivory on 5 different bikes doesn't sound very good).
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wheel Paint
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:13:08 PM »
Don't know about other guys I had krylon ivory
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:20:08 PM »
Don't know about other guys I had krylon ivory

Same here on my 3 wheel truck.  On my 53, I had the wheels powder coated with "Billy Joel Cream".  The powder coater I use does the work for Billy Joel's bikes.

Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »
I had to go to the evil walmart to find krylon brand paint....no one else in the county sells it......I hate walmart.....

Anyway, the Ivory paint doesn't come close to matching the original paint that was on the wheels (although it does match the re-paint the previous owner had used).  There was another color, called "Bright Idea", that does come very close to matching the original.   I'm using the paint that was on the inside of the rim and on one side of the front hub (it was covered over by the speedometer drive, so didnt' get any of the ivory paint) as my example of the original color.

I'm torn on what to do.  I'd like to come as close as I can to matching the original, but if all of you other restorers are using the Ivory color, I'd like to match you as well.  Hmmmm, what to do, what to do......since it rained today, I'm going to wait a few days till the humidity goes back down, so I've got a little time to think about it.  What's the opinions out there???
Mike Sal

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 03:51:12 PM »
Mike, How about this got to an auto motive paint store an have them match the sample that you have. I am pretty sure they can mix you up a pint . It would be better than buying a can here and there.  you will be spending more time and gas than it will cost at a paint store. Good Luck   Bill Marcum 8)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »
When Sonya got home from work I had her look the situation over (I'm partially color blind & can't be trusted to even put on the same shoes in the morning (the guys at work have photographic proof of that....let along match colors)).  She says the "Bright Idea" color (which she calls egg yolk yellow) is a very good match.  With this endorsement, I'm leaning heavy in this direction.

I was hoping to get opinions from as many members as possible to see if there was a concensus on the preferred shade.  My plan for this bike was to make it as stock as possible with only the paint on the gas tank to be non-stock.  That way if the next owner (many moons from now when my kids liquidate my estate) wants a correct restoration, the tank is all he'll have to re-paint.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 05:42:27 PM »
I vote for doing what you like!  Simplex would paint the bike any color you wanted for an extra $5.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 08:31:16 PM »
I think "Bright Idea" is the pick.  After I get one piece painted I should know if it was a mistake or not.  I bought both colors just in case.....
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 08:04:27 PM »
I'm seeing more & more pictures of rear sheaves that are painted black rather than rim color (factory pic's as well as restored pic's).  Anyone got a clue one what was more common?  There was no original paint left on mine (clip on style & re-painted ivory).
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 08:40:43 PM »
I second the thought to paint it the way you like. I looked at many photos before I said: I want it this way . And powered coated 98%+ of my bike. I always say if you like it who else counts.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 03:00:27 PM »
I'm seeing more & more pictures of rear sheaves that are painted black rather than rim color (factory pic's as well as restored pic's).  Anyone got a clue one what was more common?  There was no original paint left on mine (clip on style & re-painted ivory).
Mike Sal

Mike ,

How did the paint job turn out ? What brand and 'color did you end up using ?

FYI : the hubs on my bike are the same color as the rims .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 07:30:43 PM »
Pete, I wound up using Krylon "Almond" color for the hubs, rims, & sheave.  Altough it looks ok (I have a non-stock paint job, where I've got a matching almond colored stripe that separates the two colors on the tank), if I had it to do over, I would have gone with the more yellow color, like the original and I would have painted the sheave black.  There some pic's of my bike in the photo gallery section.

What colors do you have on yours?
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »
My rims and hubs are still the OEM color . What seems to be a golden almond . The brake plate ( sheave ? ) is black .

What was the brand and name of the more yellow color you thought about using ?

I'll have to re paint them as a bit of rust has taken it's toll . :(
Goes around , Comes around . :)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 05:04:52 AM »
The brake backing plate is not the sheave.  The sheave is the drive belt pulley that attaches to the rim.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
Pete, the stock color I found that was the closest is Krylon "Bright Idea".  It has a bit more gloss than I think the original paint had.

What color was your wheel pulley?
Mike Sal