Author Topic: My bike  (Read 10568 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: My bike
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 07:23:17 PM »
"Pd have you checked with Wayne  for the parts to work the throttle in the handle bar?      Reese "

I have not checked with Wayne on that , but I did come up with a push / pull control . Page 15 of my "A rider' thread .

"So here I sit fifty something degree weather with a fifty dollar belt sander making it fit at 8:30 in the dark. I having so much fun     yea right."

Do they call that dedication ? ;)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 07:27:40 PM »
How tall is the part that sticks into the crankcase?  My original stamped steel one measures 1.062 inches.  I'm curious as to why your's would have been too tall.  Do you think Wayne made it too tall intentially so you could custom fit it, or did he make a goof.
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »
Mike, it was not bought from Wayne it was on ebay a while back. I also do not remember the seller name or I would be sending him a fowl letter. The cold has ran me in for the night and using a belt sanders is a lot of freaking work not the quick little job.   Pd I did see that set up you have there. I'd be worried about pulling the bike off center while riding and trying to throttle up or down.  ;D

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 07:59:23 PM »
"Pd I did see that set up you have there. I'd be worried about pulling the bike off center while riding and trying to throttle up or down.  Grin "

That's why I spent time insuring smooth easy cable and control function with enough friction to keep it in place when I want to wave at folks with my right hand . ;) 

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 08:22:48 PM »
Wayne has all those part for the throttle available, if you can't find some used.  I just sold a set for the early type on Ebay last november, and have seen some come up for sale now and then.

I know when Wayne first made those side covers, he made them deeper than original, to decrease the volume in the engine case to better promote the flow of fuel through the engine.  He also provided 2 gaskets, just in case the fit was a little too tight.  He told me some engine needed just 1, but some needed 2 for clearance.

Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »
Mike this one is 1 1/8 now that's after I've sanded on it for awhile. Back at it till it gets to cold again.  8)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 08:07:57 AM »
Update-----after about a hour and a half going between belt sanding and a disk grunderer it fits and the engine turns with a little rub. The only trouble was the fight I had between me and the belt sander. Fyi belt sanders will take skin and you can not stop them with your hand if there running. Just encased somebody was thinking about that kind of thing. So it should be ready tonight for a test if all goes well.   

.       :'(         

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 10:20:27 AM »
Best of luck .

" Fyi belt sanders will take skin and you can not stop them with your hand  ... "   

Now you tell me .  ::)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 10:27:14 AM »
The villiage I grew up in wasn't too far from a Snap-on Tools factory (they focused on pliers, screw drivers & some of the wrenches).  There were very limited opportunities in our rural community; you either were born or married into a farming family, or went to work for one of the factories.  All my friends got jobs at Snap-on & everybody started out at the bottom of the ladder, which was grinding & polishing.  they had dozens of huge belts sanders for grinding off the flash from the forged pliers & wrenches. The job was rated by the piece, so the faster you went the more money you made.  Every one of my friends hand no skin on any knuckle of either hand (by the time you got thru the learning curve of not getting your hide sanded off, you could usually transfer to a better job).  I swore I would never go to work there & thankfully I didn't.  That plant closed down a few years ago.
Mike Sal

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 12:51:06 PM »
I got me one of 'dem fancy smancy  floor standing belt sanders from grizzly tools years ago; great investment!!!

Speaking of Grizzly, anyone ever go there?  They are really neat, just bring a big ole wad a cash!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:52:59 PM by admin »
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 01:15:30 PM »
I use to have a couple stand alones similar to that in the shop . Now I only have a little 1 HP 3" belt sander . :(

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 04:51:16 PM »
I've got a similar one that came from harbor freight & another one that also uses a 6" wide belt that I drug home from an auction that somebody had built a box "table" around so that it's handy for flat sanding of large items.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 05:13:10 PM »
I've got a similar one that came from harbor freight & another one that also uses a 6" wide belt that I drug home from an auction that somebody had built a box "table" around so that it's handy for flat sanding of large items.
Mike Sal

That's a 6" x 48" belt and a 9" disc.
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 06:18:58 PM »
Well sanded a little more today turns over without hitting it anymore. So this plate is held on with four screws "only four" and my hand cut gasket. I set a tank of fuel on the luggage rack and hooked it up. I pulled the choke and tried kicking it by hand but my left hand is a bit sore. So up on my table and with four kicks it sputtered fifth kick it starts and runs with no real problems. I adjusted the carb and it seems to be ready for a road test after I reinstall the trans. Look for better news tomarrow. ;D

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 08:20:22 PM »
Excellent , Reese . :)

That's a very sweet sound isn't it ? That little motor ticking them off ?