Author Topic: Considering Military Build....  (Read 2037 times)

vintage

• View Profile
    • Email
Considering Military Build....
« on: June 07, 2011, 12:15:11 PM »
 I really like the military builds I have seen and am very seriously considering a military build for my simplex, I am thinking to go a bit further and use a 3hp 16 cu inch Continental 2 cylinder military engine. I have one and stripped it down just to see if it will fit and it is really tight but it will fit. I will have to be very creative with the drive train though as there is nearly no room left after the engine is in....

And here's the pics....

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:20:37 PM by vintage »

trooper82

• View Profile
Re: Considering Military Build....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 02:40:12 PM »
Dan,
That's a nice looking engine. How much room do you have between the rear of the engine and the frame uprights? I used a jack shaft kit on mine and I could give you some dimensions of the shaft bearing supports to see if it would work for you.
Mike

vintage

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Considering Military Build....
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:26:37 AM »

There is probably 8 inches there that is usable for a jackshaft, it is hard to see in the pics because the engine is sitting at a bad angle due to the drain plug on the bottom of the engine. A jackshaft would have to be mounted to the rear uprights as there will be zero engine plate real estate available,  I am considering a jack shaft but am very partial to using a burman 4 speed gearbox if I can find enough real estate to mount it and still be in alignment. With the Burman I can have a kick start with no additional work.  Worst case I can go with a bolt on torque-a-verter setup that mounts only on the output side of the engine. The engine looks pretty ugly at the moment with the flywheel and backing plate removed, I have to machine the backing plate to remove the excess overhangs and machine the fins off the flywheel as well as work out the kick start if I cannot mount the Burman.  Hopefully next week I can put some serious effort into it and get the engine fully mounted so I can start determining the drive train design. I plan to fit everything at 100% before I media blast and paint everything.