Author Topic: Handle Bars  (Read 7843 times)

bill marcum

• View Profile
Handle Bars
« on: March 17, 2012, 07:23:33 AM »
This is 2 pictures of my handle bars. there is a notch on the right side and the rightside is about 1" shorter. Is this correct or has some one altered them? When I got the bike it had wizzer controles on it. Bill Marcum 8)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Handle Bars
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 08:42:34 AM »
That is how the handlebars are made.  The notch accommodates the internal throttle that uses the slide style. Simplex used this style on the later bikes, somewhere around 1950, but don't quote me on the year.  The early style used pins, and the tubes were the same length on each side.

Btw, Wayne's reproduction handlebars do not have the notch, and is not needed.  His slide throttle does not include the reinforcement piece, and is also not needed as he builds them out of a heavier material. 

Just wait to you put one of these together.  It had me scratching my head for a few minutes.  Before putting it together, run a sanding scroll on a die grinder inside the rotating tube, this made it operate much smoother.

Rick

Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 09:21:55 AM »
Mine is at the powdercoaters with the frame.  Should be done Monday.  Since the chrome was bad, I decided to go black.  I made sure to tape the line where they need to mask off the throttle side.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 08:45:39 PM »
Arghhh....had a little time to kill, so thought I'd assemble the handle bar throttle.  Unfortunately, when I  dumped the parts out of the baggy, the clamp assembly (#766) wasn't there.  I remember when taking the handlebars apart, the clamp fell out onto the floor by the bench & I remember picking it up & doing a "ah yes, now I understand how it all works", but I don't know why I wouldn't have put it into the bag with the rest of the parts.

Does anyone have one laying around that they could trace & send me the drawing? (of course, that's the only way I'll find where I put the original).

Also, did you need to use any glue on the new grips?
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 06:02:18 PM »
Mike, haven't taken mine apart yet but plan on working on simplex this weekend if you still need the drawing I can pop that apart and get you one.
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 08:28:27 PM »
thanks Jeremy.  Yes if you don't mind, make a tracing of one of the pieces of that clamp.  I've already got one piece made (I'll post a picture tomorrow), but had to come over to the house to watch an old episode of the woodwright shop on pbs before I got the 2nd piece made.  I cut them both from one large metal washer.

I spent another 45 minutes looking for that darned thing tonight with no luck.....who knows where I layed it down.  I figure that once I get done making the replacement, I'll find the original.....
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 09:36:43 PM »
That's the way its is in my shop. Spend hours looking then days getting a replacement then it sets right in the one place you know you looked at 50+ times. But if it wasn't for murphy's law things would be to easy.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 05:47:34 PM »
Here's a few pic's of the throttle mechanizm & the 2 clamp pieces I had to re-create.  The I.D. of the handle bar is 3/4", so I took two like sized washers & layed them on a big washer, then cut them out & belt sanded the radius.  I then used a small file to fine tune the notches to make them fit the insert correctly.  A couple holes & some threads & we're back in business.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Forgot a couple of pic's, so they're out of order a little.
Mike Sal

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 06:02:41 PM »
Nicely done Mike!

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
Now to the next question....what are the correct screws & nuts to attach the handle bar to the anchor plate.  My bike had round head screws w/ square nuts (no lockwashers). 

(also, I always assumed that the anchor plates were painted black, but the parts catalog says to "state color" when ordering a replacement part....hmmm).
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 07:33:16 PM »
What is the piece you need Mike, I can't download a picture of the part #
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 04:02:20 AM »
Bill, all I need is a description of the proper 4 nuts / bolts / washers used to attached the handle bars to the plate.  I don't think the ones on my bike were original (but don't know that for sure). 
Mike Sal

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »
Mike The bolts are 1/4" buy 1 1/2 " fine thread two flat washers on the bottom side and a locking nut on the bottom. I am attaching a picture too. Bill Marcum 8)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 05:59:55 PM »
Hmmm....Sure is odd they'd use plain hex head bolts.  Not very glamorous for hardware that is right out there in front of God & everybody.  I'll have to think about that a little bit.  I may want a round headed fastener instead.

thanks for posting the pic. 
Mike Sal