Author Topic: Handle Bars  (Read 7845 times)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Handle Bars
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 07:42:56 PM »
Mike when I was building my bike I didn't have a whole set of anything. I took stainless steel carriage bolts and rounded the heads to fit the handle bar after smoothing the square shoulders then buff to a high shine.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 07:59:27 PM »
I was thinking of doing something very similar.  I have a lot of stainless hardware laying around from the cemetary projects I've worked on.
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 09:17:13 PM »
You will need a steel bar about the same size with a hole  then just hammer away and shape it the way you like.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 05:28:47 AM »
Mike, I also used stainless carriage bolts, but I hand filed each hole square.  A bit tedious, but a nice fit, and tightens up nice without spinning.

Rick

BTW, my all 3 of my bikes had the same hex head fasteners, so I would assume that is factory correct.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »
I was thinking in the same lines, only I was only going to file 2 corners of the holes and remove 2 corners from the bolts.  I'll use ny-lok nuts instead of lockwashers.
Mike Sal

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 01:05:43 PM »
Rick,
 I am going to have to take points off for incorrect bolts to the handle bars when I judge your bike. LOL I agree it is your bike do what ever you want . I like the idea of stainless steel but I would go with acorn nuts facing up. Just my 2 cents ( where is the cent button on this key board ) or $.02 worth. Keep up the good work ! Bill Marcum 8)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 05:41:12 PM »
Hmmm...I hadn't thought about acorn nuts.  I have a whole box full of 1/4" acorn nuts.  Sounds easier than making the modifications.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 05:42:08 AM »
Rick,
 I am going to have to take points off for incorrect bolts to the handle bars when I judge your bike. LOL I agree it is your bike do what ever you want . I like the idea of stainless steel but I would go with acorn nuts facing up. Just my 2 cents ( where is the cent button on this key board ) or $.02 worth. Keep up the good work ! Bill Marcum 8)

Haha,  LOL.  I definitely used some non-stock hardware on mine.  I used a bunch of stainless, and quite a few nylock fasteners.  These bikes vibrate when up at speed, and I didn't want things coming loose.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 10:24:11 AM »
Our Studebaker club is called the "Studebaker Drivers Club".  We believe in driving them, not just looking at them (some people don't get it thou and like to trailer their cars).  At the conventions, my buddies & I will set around at night having a cold one or two in the parking area & taking bets on who has the most bugs on the front of their car......while other people are out there late into the night with their feather dusters.  Tell me which group has more fun....
Mike Sal

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 12:42:43 PM »
I'm with you Mike, I am not much of a waxer!  Can I say that??  LOL

Rick
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »
I have a 59 Apache 4x4 . I built off a j10 jeep frame. I keep it out of the winter slop the rest of the time its my daily driver along with my service trucks. The simplex will definitely get rode around town as well
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »
I used to drive Jeep J10 trucks.  If you could still find one that the bed wasn't rusted out, I'd still be driving them (even thou they only got 12mpg).
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Bet it looks good when you have your bike in back going somewhere.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 06:38:14 PM »
The last 2 trucks I had were 82 models.  One was a black Laredo with all the fancy trim, from Georgia & rust free; and the other was a rare step side that came from Florida & was also rust free.  If you check out the Full Size Jeep sites (I guess it's still around), they had my black truck as one of the home page images. 
Mike Sal

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2012, 04:42:08 AM »
mywaymfg,
 Pic of my 59 chev stepside last fall . Complete with Michigan rust . but it runs and we have fun with it . Has the original 235 motor. one more project , I will try to get a better pictue later . Might drive it to one of the events this year with the Simplex in the back. Bill Marcum 8)