Author Topic: Rear Axel  (Read 3018 times)

lostinidaho

• View Profile
Rear Axel
« on: March 23, 2012, 07:20:08 PM »
I am re-building a rear wheel.

What is the thread of the rear axle.  I think the diameter is 7/16.  It seems to be a very fine thread.
Thanks in advance.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rear Axel
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 07:26:14 PM »
7/16-26 BSC.

Good Luck trying to find them.  Wayne has them made for him.

Rick
Rick

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:00:16 AM »
Hi there  the thread is 26 t.p.i or another words  British standard Cycle ,  common on english cycles from the thirties on and sometimes on american bicycles of the same era ,  Try to google british tools and fasteners for taps and dies to clean up and restore threads ,  they're not very expensive and good folks to deal with ,, Plus they have an interesting little booklet about all the wacky thread sizez from that part of the world ,        be well   Larry Brown. :D

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:18:35 AM »
AKA British Whitworth. Pre 70's Triumph and BSA guys are well versed with this pitch.  If you are friends with someone who has or restores those bikes, they will have what you need to correct the threads on the axle.  The wrenches are based of the size of the shaft and not the distance across the flats of the nut or bolt. Mike

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 07:56:47 PM »
I have an old set of english tools that have three markings per each size , for example british standard fine  ( only in ferrous metals ,,) whitworth ( only on aluminum alloys ,,coarse thread ) and british standard cycle ( almost always 26 tpi , no matter  what the diameter To me it was frustrating at first ,,    I have a 7/16 die that I cut in half and assemble around a "mushroomed " axle to straighten out the threads from the middle towards the  end , )     Really , once you get to understand  way it works  a little , it is good stuff   

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »
I just had to order a 5/16-32 NEF die to make a replacement gun part for a guy.  It was the size of a quarter, but with shipping they charged me 32 bucks for it.  I wonder what a set of axle dies would cost these days.  I was lucky in that my axles are in great condition & the bike still had the original acorn nuts.
Mike Sal

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:10:24 PM »
Hey Guys,
 I have been reading about the threads on the rear axel that you have been posting. Are the axels the only parts with this odd ball size threads or is the whole bike the British Standard, I just took my rockers off the springer and they seam to be odd too. Glad I did not mess up the threads. Bill Marcum 8)

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »
Hey there    the rocker studs have 3/8  x 24 tpi         fine thread standard , available almost anywhere      british cycle threads  ( 26 tpi n) I think only on axles and steering head ,,,,,, ( I think spoke nipples also )   metric threads on spark plug ,   rest rest of bike fairley normal except  3/4 left hand thread on "m" engine crankshaft ,    regards     Larryu