Author Topic: Handle bars  (Read 2025 times)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
Handle bars
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:38:16 PM »
Has anyone seen this set-up before? Seeing I have never had a complete bike to redo and its not like my Brother's bike that twist the cable. Is this what I need to to use?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Handle bars
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 06:54:26 PM »
That's the last style throttle system (rick can probably nail which year they switched....some of the parts catalogs in our manuals section show all the parts, and what the earlier style looked like too).  My bike has this style.  Do you have the rest of the parts to it?  there is a sleeve that goes over the whole thing that has a spiral groove in it which that odd little piece tracks in.
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:59:44 PM »
No I only have the handle-bar with the cable attached.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:11:26 PM »
Here is a pic of that outer piece mine turns a little rough but I haven't looked into it yet.
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
When you look into the end of the handlebar, you'll see a screw head which controls the wedge clamp.  unscrew this a few turns, then twist the insert a little (I had to clamp the insert in a vise & gently twist the handlebar) & it'll come out of the handle bar.

I think Wayne has any of the parts you might be missing (refer to the catalog for the parts....a curved piece which keeps the outer sleeve where it belongs and the sleeve it'self may be all your missing. 
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 07:47:16 PM »
I have not yet tried to take it apart, but its in the lead for bike #2. I may even try painting it myself.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Wayne does indeed have all the parts for this.  To make it turn butter smooth, take it apart and run a sanding roll inside the tubular part and polish up the handle bar.  When I replaced the handlebars on my 53, the throttle was stiff, as the fit was a little tight.  A couple minutes with the die grinder was all it took.

If I had known this website was going to take off as much as it has, I would have taken more photos of all these little steps in my restoration to help others.  I guess there is always next time.

Rick
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:58:43 PM by admin »
Rick