Author Topic: Dauphin Island First Place Unrestored  (Read 2763 times)

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
Dauphin Island First Place Unrestored
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:54:34 AM »
Several of you asked me to post a picture of my bike and the trophy.  This is a Model L with the early series rocker clutch (without the ratchet shift mechanism).  Mike

OEM

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dauphin Island First Place Unrestored
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 03:20:26 PM »

Hey Mike, I'm proud for you.  Good looking bike...continue to enjoy it.  Thanks for posting.  OEM

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 03:30:12 PM »
Awesome Mike!  Now I know who to look for at Portland this summer.

Rick
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 05:33:59 PM »
Congrats Mike, its nice to be able to put a face with your name I often wonder what everyone looks like
Jeremy c.

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 05:41:18 PM »
Mike, Congratulations on the Fist place . Nice pic of you and your Simplex. Bill Marcum 8)

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:07:09 PM »
I bought this bike from Adam last summer (after Gary had died in March).  I put gas and oil in it and it started.  I put a carb kit in it, adjusted the float level (1.406" per Wayne), and resurfaced the face of the carb mounting flange, and it now runs much better.  I hate that I did not get to ask Gary the history about it.  I know these bikes could tell some stories.  People looking at it at the Dauphin Island show had a great time re-living their youth!  Since there was a Simplex dealer in Mobile, a lot of people fondly remember them.  Thanks to all of you regarding your comments about it.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 09:45:55 PM »
The one I had as a kid was the only one anybody had ever seen in my area.  I didn't see another one for 18 years.  One '48 step thru Cushman and one Harley Hummer were the only 2 "motorcycles" in town when I was growing up for a long time until one of the older guys came home from the service (stationed in Germany) with a BMW.  I thought it was pretty cool.

I sure wish I'd got back into the motorbike stuff while Mr. Wollard was still alive.
Mike Sal