Author Topic: Well... not exactly a Simplex  (Read 2513 times)

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
Well... not exactly a Simplex
« on: April 21, 2012, 04:29:13 PM »
I picked this up today; 1954 Harley Davidson Hummer. (165cc) I have seen a few of these here and there over the years and thought they were cool. (the gas tank could be better, would have made the whole bike better)
Anyway, I came across this one and had to get it. Looks pretty original, runs pretty well. I didn't dare get it up to speed until I go through it and tighten and check it.
Not a Simplex but thought I'd share...

:)

:)

Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Well... not exactly a Simplex
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »
I've owned 2 of those over the years.  The last one I had (24 years ago) was missing a few odd parts (ignition switch, etc) & I never got around to getting it running.  When we moved, I got rid of most of my bike stuff & I sold it for 75 dollars.....what an idiot.....

I'd like to have another one, but they're too expensive these days.....and I don't need another small bike.  I want to find something vintage (or a pakistani or chinese look-a-like) in the 350 or bigger range so I can ride it places.

You've got a nice collection going there.  Really like the house too.....I'd hate to see your property taxes....
Mike Sal

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 06:09:01 PM »
I believe that what you have here is known as a Super 10, but I am not sure.  The 165 had battery and coil ignition with the ignition switch in the gas tank to the left of the gas gas cap.  The carb was not a Tillotson, but had a slide throttle and there was an enclosure around the carb.  The Super 10 (ten cubic inches/165 cc's) was made in 1960-1961.  The magneto lights were not nearly as bright as those run by the battery/coil set up.  Your appears to be a very nice example. I spent a lot of time on the back of my neighbor's Super 10.  Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 06:19:04 PM »
  Nice find!  I have my eye out for an early Harley 125.  I really like the earlier style girder front end.
  I went to the Wheels Through Time museum in NC last week, and I really am feeling the itch.  What an awesome place; if you ever get the chance, go there.  Dale Walksler and son Matt are the nicest guys you can meet.  I even got a tour of the workshop, and Matt showed me how an early Harley pedal assembly goes together!  I'll start a new topic and post pics when I get a chance.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 07:27:47 PM »
Dale used to own a harley dealership in the town next to me (Mt. Vernon, IL) & he had a lot of classics.  When I was trying to find somebody to give me an appraisal for the Simplex, I called the dealership & was told that they use Dale whenever they need that kind of thing done. 
Mike Sal

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 07:37:46 PM »
Hummmm.... I do believe I am wrong. This is not a '54 at all, it is a 1960 Super 10! Well that might raise some issues with the title I have!
I will need to re-register with the current info and make it a 1960!
Still cool, maybe cooler. I could not find a stock paint job like this when searching hummers. I searched Super 10's and sure enough this is the exact match to the factory paint.
So I am thinking this is, in fact, all original!

Thanks Mike, and yeah the property taxes are nuts. I think it was about $6200 last year!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:42:30 PM by aquaelvis »
Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 08:28:04 AM »
I'm glad I'm a country mouse.....I think my taxes on 5 acres is still under 1200.  The way farm acrerage has been going thru the roof, I don't know how long that will last (plus I'll get hit for this new building I'm putting up....I've got all 4 walls up & getting ready to put the roof on).  The dissadvantage is that you have to drive someplace anytime you need something.
Mike Sal

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »
my lawn looks kinda like that bush you got growing next to your garage ! :D