Author Topic: Again, not a Simplex but still awesome!  (Read 4245 times)

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
Again, not a Simplex but still awesome!
« on: April 28, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »
 ;D
This the latest find. When it rains it pours, I am way over the "rust budget" and taking a lot of heat from the wife but I could not pass this up. It is a 1947 Powell P-48. It is all original, I bought it from the estate of the original owner. His adult son gave me all kinds of history on it. It hasn't been registered since 1970, still has the original black and yellow plate. I was told it is on the original tires, might be, they are a matched set of goodyears. (rotten of course)
Looks like everything is there, very little has been messed with. The gas tank on these is cool, it is the seat and is all aluminum.

These Powells are pretty rare, have only seen 1 other. Can't find any for sale so I'm not even sure as to a value. I think I'll sell the Harley Super 10 and keep this. (maybe sell one of the Simplex's?)
Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Again, not a Simplex but still awesome!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »
Footnote: I think it might be a P-47

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 02:16:17 PM »
That's pretty cool. What type engine does it have?

Rick
Rick

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »
I only know of one person who ever owned a Powell and he had long since traded it for something else before we ever met.  In fact, he probably died ten years ago.  I have never seen one at the annual Pate Swap Meet in Texas or Barber's Vintage Festival in Birmingham (and I am talking about a twenty five year period for Pate).  I have no idea of who to point you to for literature or parts.  You can find another Super 10, but I doubt that finding another Powell for sale is even possible.  I certainly hope that you enjoy it!!!!!!!!! Mike

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
Just looking around and someone has this listed as a P-47.  Seems to have more of a body than yours.

Rick
Rick

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »
Rick, I have seen those full bodied scoots before, not sure what they are. Maybe those are P-47's... They are cool tho!
On mine there are seat springs but nothing else. The P-48's I have seen have 3 small springs between the rack and fender. There are pics online of a really nice '48 P-48 that shows the springs well. (red restored one)
I'm not sure why mine does not have those springs, it's a solid mount.

rldebuse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »
You can find info on your P-48 and the red C-47 at www.usscootermuseum.com.  The original paint on your P-48 was black wrinkle finish.  You are missing the side shields.  The luggage rack originally had a spring suspension.  The oil tank for the dry sump engine is located on the floor board.  Rare and fast scooters.  Note that the lights are powered thru the ground lead from the ignition coil.  That's why the 3 position ignition switch.   

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 10:33:24 AM »
hahaha i just love how the gas tank is the seat !

it reminds me of my 1934 chevy pickup restoreation project.
where the gas tank is under the seat.
what is locked must be Unlocked !

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 06:42:49 AM »
The luggage rack originally had a spring suspension.
Ridebuse, thanks for that link. I looked at it from my iphone before and nothing came up. I looked at that page again after you posted from my home computer and saw the info.
They have a 1948 P-48 shown. Mine is a 1947, least that is what my pink slip says. Mine does not have the springs on the rack like all the other ones I have seen. It is factory though, it isn't missing them.
Maybe the 1947's did not have the springs? I assume that is the reason. I'll need to ask around, no luck finding Powell guys online. Too bad they don't have a Powell website. (they have a registry but that has very little about scooters or minibikes)