Author Topic: Bill Hirsch fuel tank sealer  (Read 3257 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bill Hirsch fuel tank sealer
« on: May 20, 2012, 11:57:52 AM »
Anyone on here ever use the Bill Hirsch fuel tank cleaner/etcher,sealer kit?  If so, did you have good results?  The tank for my truck project is a little crusty, and needs to be coated inside.
Rick

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bill Hirsch fuel tank sealer
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 02:09:53 PM »
Rick, I used the product years ago and thought that it worked okay.  The biggest thing is to use phosphoric acid and not muiratic acid.  The phosphoric leave a protective coating that will last between 12 & 24 hours before flash rust begins. Rinse with plenty of water and be absolutely sure that the tank is bone dry before sealing (regardless of what product is used).  I now use POR 15, and I have not had any problems with the sealer turning loose! Mike

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »
Thanks Mike.  I have read that some people have had problems with the Por-15 peeling after a short while.  I have used other Por products with good results. 

BTW, did you ever hear back from Adam?
Rick

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 03:22:48 PM »
I'll give Adam a call tonight.  I have been busy with my yard (all weekend).
Mike

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »
I tried to find some of the stuff that Wayne recommended (kwik poly), but when I sent Sonya to town to find some, the only thing she could find was the "Kreem" brand stuff.  I didn't have time to find anything different, so I sent it along with the tank to the guy who's doing the painting.  We'll see how it holds up.....
Mike Sal