Author Topic: well its a start at least is together somewhat....  (Read 6070 times)

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
well its a start at least is together somewhat....
« on: May 21, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »
so i was finally able to get my 47 simplex together somewhat.i still have more to so but its at least good to see it as anything other then a frame and a pile of parts lol

IMG_20120521_115237

IMG_20120521_115306

IMG_20120521_124353

IMG_20120521_124402
what is locked must be Unlocked !

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: well its a start at least is together somewhat....
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:38:46 AM »
I like that cylinder setting on sideways on the motor look.  I wonder if a side exhaust pipe could be fashioned without getting into your leg?  The ports probably wouldn't line up enough with the crankcase & piston to let the engine run (?).

I also notice that boss hog bike setting next to it.....
Mike Sal

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:56:15 AM »
the motor is set that way becuse ive noticed there is a balance issue with how i have the bike placed. so it falls off.
i have a more complete 1953 motor BUT ive noticed it is taller so i cannot place it on the frame . so im going to have to rebuild the orignal smaller engine.
tho i am amazed that the damaged rear tire is a Servi cycle brand tire. i cant reuse it but its cool non the less. and the seat is still stamped with the company servi cycle logo.

as for the larger bike. that is my fathers 2000 indian chief that he just spend the last 2 years completely redoing and even modifying a 2002 Indian motor .and getting rid of the orignal S&S Harley motor

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 12:49:31 PM »
The reproduction tires that are available have the Servi cycle writing on them. Also, several of the seat rebuilders have the servi cycle die, so they can stamp the seat, just like original.
Rick

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:33:22 PM »
well thats good to know for the replacements.
im just happy that the orignal seat is in undamaged and can be used. .
and the damaged rear tire must be orignal becuse i dont think they had repo for it yet in  1975.when my father received this bike and placed it in our crawl space.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 02:42:50 PM »
Coker started reproducing the Simplex tire in the mid 90's I believe at the prompting and organizing of Gary Wollard. 
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »
Motor Height.....would you mind telling us the difference in height between the motors?  Is the difference in the crankcase height, or the length of the jug (or both??)?
Mike Sal

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 04:34:04 PM »
well what happens ive noticed is since the 1950's motor had a larger diameter crankcase which adds size  compared to the original 1947 engine which has a smaller crank case diameter... .i was not able to fit the 1950's engine into my 1947 frame it hits the tank and does not pass the bracket under the tank

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 05:58:16 AM »
I just measure my 53 automatic and 49 model K, and they are both 13 1/2" from motor plate to tanks mount.  I'm curious what your measurement is.
Rick

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 12:26:17 PM »
well it may be because its a mixed engine.. its a mix of 47 and 53 engines so i think one is taller due to the changes. but my issue is when i placed my newer 53 engine in the spark plugs hit the tank. in fact i have to replace a plug becuse one got damaged when i was removing it.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 07:06:34 PM »
Not sure what your ultimate goal is, but if it's to get one good bike out of the whole mess, you might consider contacting Wayne to see if he'd be interested in deal where you send him all your motor parts & he sends you one good motor.  Motor parts are hard enough to come by that he might be interested.
Mike Sal

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »
well i have a complete engine. as long as i use the 1953 model M engine.. if i wanted to use the orignal model H motor i would need to rebuild it .as im missing parts.

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »
so i was able to fit the 53 engine.it turns out the upper mount was bent down.and i had to bend to fit (and yes i have a mountain bike front wheel )its just to help with the balance. as i still have to get a replacement.

IMG_20120522_180052

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 09:14:27 PM »
i do have 1 issue i found that i cannot easyly put in the fuel tank without having to pry it in. . is there something that must be removed to easly remove the tank ?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 10:55:33 AM »
Max, the brace that runs under the tank could be bent,  but it is a close fit to get the tank in & out.  It's one of those "hold your mouth just right" deals. 

BTW, if I've not already asked you, could you share your frame number & motor numbers for your bikes for the registry?  If I've already asked, I guess I mis-placed your reply.
thanks,
Mike Sal