Author Topic: Rims  (Read 10864 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rims
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 05:54:59 PM »
sand blasters are hard on compressors.  be careful not to overheat it (most home versions have a duty rating of 50....meaning it should rest 50% of the time).

I wouldn't mind to have a front brake also, but won't spend the money to get one (unless I can steal a deal somewhere).
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 08:26:50 PM »
Bill, just to give you an idea on a front brake conversion cost, around $300.  This includes everything from front hub, shoes, backing plate, brake lever and cable.  Those front hubs are pretty hard to come by.  You could convert a rear one, but it would take some machining.  You would need to narrow it 1", and then slot the holes for the spokes on the small side.  You need slots so you can angle in the spokes past the brake drum side.

BTW Mike, didn't you say you were a machinist?

Rick
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:29:27 PM by RickS »
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 04:06:20 AM »
I have enough equipment here to be dangerous.....

Right now I'm re-arranging the shop & moving the mill & lathe to another building.  I don't have 220 in that building, so I've got to do some wiring before the big band saw or the mill will be running again.  I'm leaving the lathe move till last since I use it the most.

I was looking the back hub over the other night when I removed the bearing races from it so I could clean it up.  It wouldn't be too much trouble to cut the short side down, & reweld the small flange back on, then machine out the pocket for the bearing race.  I suspect the trouble is that back hubs aren't much easier to find than the front ones are.  If there were a plentiful source for back hubs, then a batch could be converted to front hubs.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 04:34:17 AM »
Mike, I would think finding rear hubs wouldn't be that hard.  A lot of rims get bent beyond repair, but nothing really happens to the hub.  I bet Wayne has a big stash of rear hubs attached to bent rims.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure my back wheel is not original to the rest of the bike.  The rest of the bike is in remarkably good condition (no rust or rust repair).  But the back wheel had a lot of rust pitting on the brake side of the hub (the small flange wasn't rusty at all) and the spokes were rusty.  I wonder if this was a replacement for a bent wheel.

Next time either one of us talks to Wayne, we'll have to ask him about the population of rear hubs (I don't remember them being on his parts list he sent to me, but I'll have to look again when I get home).  The brake backing plate is a little different also, isn't it?
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 10:29:01 AM »
Wayne has a lot of things that are not on his parts list.  He has a bunch of used parts as well, from what I understand.

I have also heard that Gary had a big pile of old wheels.  Probably not a lot of good rims, but I would bet plenty of good hubs.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 10:53:03 AM »
Wayne told me he got into the Simplex business in the early to mid-80's.  I guess that's plenty of time to collect up a lot of stuff.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 12:13:54 PM »
I bet he bought whole bikes back then for $200!

Rick
Rick

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »
Rick and Mike
 Sounds like you two have your gears moving. A rear hub used on the front wheel. I would like to know if you guys follow up on this thought. I will be needing a front and brake some time in the near future. If Wayne has the hubs and you do this, let me know the cost for I can decide if I can afford it or go with a after market wheel and brake assembly. Thank Bill Marcum

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 04:14:16 PM »
I'd need to know some dimensions & some more details on the backing plate.  I'll be needing to call Wayne in about a week for a few parts (maybe).  I'll ask him for some info on them.  He has the front backing plate listed at $50 on his price list.
Mike Sal

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 05:58:01 PM »
The bikes that had front brakes also had rebound springs above the top fork support ,to soften the action of the brake trying to turn the suspension rocker arms around the axle

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
 i will need to get a rear wheel pully(mine is a bolt on) and a front rim (no hub or spokes(as i have orignal ones))
you guys have any clue what that might cost to replace .?
what is locked must be Unlocked !

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 11:21:41 AM »
Anyone had any luck with a set of rims from the after market?

Would like front brake and rear with brake and chain sprocket. Tried worksman with no luck. Several times it has been suggested aftermarket wheels from several sources but I have had no luck after contacting them.

really want to finish my conversion to later engine and this is the main obstruction.

Thanks

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 01:10:04 PM »
What happened with worksman?   Did they not have them?  If I was using a non simplex wheel, they would be the one I used.
Rick

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 01:58:43 PM »
Anyone had any luck with a set of rims from the after market?

Would like front brake and rear with brake and chain sprocket. Tried worksman with no luck. Several times it has been suggested aftermarket wheels from several sources but I have had no luck after contacting them.

really want to finish my conversion to later engine and this is the main obstruction.

Thanks

If I can not true up my rear rim, I will be using a set of worksman hoops I have. I have a worksman front drum brake that I am swaping out the bearings and axle in soon for larger sealed bearings and 12mm axle. It will cost around 20 bucks.

For a rear brake, you could go with a worksman front drum, axle swap, and mount your own sprocket to the side. OR find a moped hub with sprocket attached. They are 36 holds and will fit the frame.

I will have a thread started soon for the axle swap.