Author Topic: 56 or 57 - Whats with the 150cc Decal  (Read 2979 times)

dualquad425

• View Profile
56 or 57 - Whats with the 150cc Decal
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:39:51 PM »
We know, based on the frame number 14490, that this Simplex Automatic was built in 1956 or 1957.  What confuses me is the 150cc decal on the headlight.  I have not seen another Simplex with a decal on the headlight. Is this correct for Simplex? Did Simplex launch the 150cc version at the beginning of 1957 or was it a mid year option.

Thanks

Joel
Minneapolis, MN

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 56 or 57 - Whats with the 150cc Decal
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:28:01 PM »
The only true evidence we've seen regarding the introduction of the big motor is the advertising published in magazines in '57, but no mention of the 150cc motor in any of the magazine articles published in '56. 

Your decal certainly looks authentic.  It's also possible your bike was '56 that lost it's engine early in it's life, and the owner purchased a "new & improved" 150cc as a replacement & added the decal to show off his hot rod status.

Then again, your frame may have been stuck at the back of the parts bin for a longer period of time & didn't get assembled till '57.  My former employer had no FIFO system (first in-first out) & we were always running across some rusty parts because they got shoved to the back of a shelf & not used while newer parts got put in front of them. (ya know, another possibility is that this frame was put into the parts bin for the service department, then later transferred back to the production line when they never got around to selling it). 
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 01:33:04 PM »
I've never seen that decal either.  It looks aged, so maybe it is original.  Post some more close up pictures of the bike so we can see some more detail.
Rick

dualquad425

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »
bike will be in transit to my home after the 4th. Once I receive I will take additional pics.

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 05:12:22 PM »
Hi there ,,, for what it's worth ,   My old titled 1958 scooter had the early style spring tensioner pully and the early style bolt on smaller diameter rear wheel pulley ,   I remember it also having the 150 cc decal on the headlight shell and the 150 cc cylinder and piston,   ( I remember ordering rings from Hastings corp.  the size was 2 3/16    by 5/64 )    I can"t for the life of me tell you why that stayed in my brain !!  I sold the scooter to a fellow on California named Bill Powell. ( I think maybe 1973 )   Best wishes on your project

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »
I'm reading an article written by David Hilliker & published in the VMBC magazine in '92.  In it he mentions the 150cc decal showing up in '57.

They also mention that the round taillight was originally glass, & changed to plastic in '58.  Does anyone else have a glass lens (the round type)?  Mine is plastic.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 04:22:13 PM »
I didn't know that about the round taillight. I know the early ones were glass, with a clear section for the license light.  Tom told me he has one, but doesn't put it on his bike for fear of it breaking.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 07:02:47 PM »
I waited until I unloaded the bike at Portland before I installed my taillight because I was also fearfull of it getting damaged.  That brand new lens looks like a jewel on that new chromed housing from Wayne.

The original plastic lens on my bike had all of the color faded off & it was basically a clear lens.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone comes up with a round glass one.
Mike Sal

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 01:40:08 PM »
Mike, are there any significant markings on the round glass lens to look for? What diameter is it? Going to a swap meet this weekend and will keep an eye out for one.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »
Tom, according to the article......"The round tailight appeared sometime in late L model production......the "Nu-ray" Junior model.  The lens was cylindrical and originally glass with a pattern, but with a round spot just below center with no pattern, resembling an "eye".   It read at the top "NU-RAY" and on the bottom, "TIGER_EY".  It was held on with the same type clip as the plastic lens."

Not sure if this will help or not.
Mike Sal