Author Topic: Out for a ride  (Read 2142 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Out for a ride
« on: August 02, 2012, 03:17:41 AM »
It was nice out last so I went for a ride.  Let's go Servi-cycling!  With the new compression plate it's three kicks when it's cold and one kick after it is warmed up. Every time!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Out for a ride
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 01:18:36 PM »
Nice!  I try to take mine out at least once a week for a blast.  I've had it to a coupe of local car cruises and it always gets a warm reception.  The Harley guys are always really interested.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:54:19 PM »
Still too freakin' hot here to enjoy any riding.  Everyday we're breaking a new record for temps.  I've not tinkered withthe Simplex since I brought it home from Portland.  I've still got to install new sparkplug wires & add the pins to the piston rings.  One of these days I guess.  I've got to go visit a vendor tomorrow near St. Louis, then we're taking mom to a german festival on Saturday in Indiana (I've got my bundehosen all ready to go).....like I said, one of these days.....
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 03:27:34 PM »
Today was in the mid 50's, so I went out to the garage, gave the '53 3 kicks, and off for a ride!  I should have put a jacket on, as after about 10 minutes, I was getting pretty cold riding in just a T-shirt.  The bike ran like a top.
Rick

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:52:53 PM »
 Glad you got a few moments on the bike . Soon the sun will shine and you can take longer rides .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »
I'm envious , Rick .

But , I rode today , too . :)
And the day before and the day before that ... ;)

Sorry to say it wasn't on the Simplex . I've been busy taking care of the park the last few days and have been riding our Suzuki FA50 . I can cover a lot of ground in a hurry with that little thing . A single round of the park is 7 miles .
Here it is , all decked out :

Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 07:33:51 PM »
We had a nice weekend for a change.  I spent most of Saturday at a farm auction & picked up some bargains (Sonya just shook her head when I bought the old accordion). 

Did get a chance to put about 10 miles on the Victory on Sunday (the simplex seems so tiny when they are parked next to each other).  Chance of rain every day this week, so no toys outside..... Maybe I can make myself actually work on it this week.  I still need to finish the wiring & I still don't have a brake light switch.
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 09:31:15 PM »
Sense I had my bike out of the barn today I had to take her for a spin. I still need to get her tuned out still acts sluggish but running.  Except while I was getting about a mile or so the motor just stopped or should I say locked up. So after I stopped first kick was very hard to turn then it got easy and restarted and it ran fine back to the houes. So I'm at a loss why it stopped maybe I should rebuild it to see if that helps its running.  Any thoughts?   ???

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 07:24:09 AM »
Reese ,

It almost sounds like the piston may have seized .

I think I'd pull the piston and have a look to be sure .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 09:01:44 AM »
Reese ,

It almost sounds like the piston may have seized .

I think I'd pull the piston and have a look to be sure .

Pete . :)

I would second that!  Is it a stock simplex piston, or one of Wayne's?  One Wayne's, I, as well as several others, have found you need about .005 clearance.
Rick