Author Topic: Wheel Pin Stripe  (Read 2920 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wheel Pin Stripe
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »
I forgot to take some close up pictures of some wheels while I was at Portland this year.....how far around the bend is the pin strip located on the wheel rims (or, how far from the center line are the stripes located)?  I'm going to try to get serious about getting the pin strip put on the wheels.
thanks,
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wheel Pin Stripe
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:48:48 AM »
What color did the factory use for the stripes?  Did they use the same color each year, or did it change?

PS: Mike, did you get those #'s I sent you?
Rick

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 07:19:06 PM »
Mike, I am sending you a pic of my rim . It looks to me that the stripe is black and 1/16th'' Wide and it is 31/64'' from the nipple of the spoke on the side of the stripe that is being measured. Bill Marcum 8)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:39:55 PM »
Thanks bill.  As far as I know they always used black paint for the pinstripe.

Rick, yes I got the note about the numbers.  I hope to do some work with them soon.....it's just been so busy around here lately i've not had any time to mess with them.  Do you remember where the dealer was located that Bob got a lot of that data from (I recall him saying he spent quite a bit of time talking with a former dealer who kept decent records of the bikes he sold).   I told Bob I'd call him sometime to chat about simplex, but I've not had a full hour to spare (I'm sure I'd not get off the phone with him for a while).

The weather has given us a temporary break & it only got up to 80 degrees today.  We put vinyl siding on the garage until dark tonight after I got home from work.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »
Mike, I don't remember Bob telling me about any dealer.  I'll try to remember to ask him next time I speak with him.  How is the new job?

Bill, that is a great picture for reference.  There was a guy doing pin striping at Portland, maybe next year I can get him to do my wheels while I'm there.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:49:05 PM by RickS »
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 03:30:26 PM »
Mike just a note if your pin stripping the fenders the stripe does not go tip to tip. There's about 1/2inch gap at each end. I am sending Rickety a cash of photos I gathered when I started mine. Yes Rickety i said I was sending it before but I had to get clearance from my Brother. There's several of his bike before and after showing details and many more pulled off ebay and other sites. Shoot there is more than likely some of y'all bikes there to. But its packed and all I need to do is mail it. Reese.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 06:29:02 PM »
I've got a non-stock pin stripe on my fenders in that they wrap around the ends (up the side & across to the other side & then back). 

Rick, when I was talking to Bob, he told me he had spent quite a bit of time with a former Simplex dealer who still had a lot of his records & even still had a bike since new, so he was able to authenticate it's serial number with the actual date he received it.  This is where a lot of Bob's info came from which he added to over the years of research.

The new job is going well.  I'm doing the same job as before.  After all the stress of losing my old job, the end result is more money & a better profit sharing deal.  I hate losing 1 of the 4 weeks vacation I'd accumulated at the old job, but I'm blessed things worked out the way they did.  I only drive 4 extra miles to the new job.
Mike Sal