Author Topic: front brake measurement please,  (Read 2236 times)

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
front brake measurement please,
« on: October 27, 2012, 08:42:43 PM »
  Hi everybody ,   can one of you kind folks supply the measurement between the two "flanges " on the FRONT brake hub ???   maybe a photo of the backing plate also ,, I bet I can modify a rear brake to fit ,  I know it will also need springs on top of the fork springs also    ???

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: front brake measurement please,
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:56:10 PM »
The backing plate is a whole different beast, but you can cut down a rear hub to work. Or at least that's what Wayne says when I got mine front him. Mainly because I can't wield that good. I will post the width when I get home or just look at how wide your forks are. ???

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 10:46:42 PM »
Well about a inch and one half from hub to outer edge. The hub is flat except what holds the cable. Here's a couple of photos for you ;D

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:21:09 AM »
Larry, the one thing Reese's pictures don't show, is that the front flange has to be slotted for the spokes to pass through.  I'm at work now, but will try to get a picture posted for you later today.

Rick
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 12:44:33 PM »
Larry, here is a picture of a front drum.  See how it is slotted where the spokes pass through?  This is so the spokes can pass by the brake drum, if they were just holes like the rear, they would not have clearance.

Rick
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 03:52:56 PM »
Yea those slots would of been nice to have but mine does not have slots. I had to use a towel to protect the hub while I was threading the spokes in. It did give me a chance to brush up on vocabulary that day then again when I found out I had the wrong spokes. :-\

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »
  Hello ,   Thank you all for the replies ,    This will give me something to do later on .  much obliged  , ;D  Larry.