Author Topic: Gas Tank attachment question  (Read 2163 times)

LB Don

• View Profile
    • Email
Gas Tank attachment question
« on: October 27, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »
I recently bought a frame in pretty rough shape along with the front forks and seat. I was also able to pick up some handlebars and a gas tank on EBAY. However, there seems to be no attachment points on the tank for the frame and vice versa. Am I missing something?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gas Tank attachment question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 07:32:19 PM »
The tank does not attach to the frame, it is squeezed between the frame and the tank anchor channel.  If you look close at the two pictures I've posted, you can just barley see the aluminum channel on the bottom pushing up on the tank.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 07:35:18 PM by RickS »
Rick

LB Don

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:31:25 PM »
Thanks Rick. Does the aluminum channel fit snugly over the gas tank seams? Is there rubber anywhere to dampen the vibration? This looks like a piece I could fabricate rather than wait to come up for sale.  Beautiful bike by the way.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 01:05:13 PM »
The channel lays over the gas tank seam, but is not snug.  It pushes up on the tank into the underside of the upper frame bars.  There is no padding used, which is why all the gas tanks have no paint were they rub against the frame!  I put some black stick on foam on the underside of the frame, but I didn't like the way it looked so I took it out.   

Post some pictures for us to see!!
Rick