Author Topic: Wollard Estate Auction - Simplex Servi-Cycles, Parts, Memoribilia  (Read 21415 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wollard Estate Auction - Simplex Servi-Cycles, Parts, Memoribilia
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 01:40:07 PM »
Welcome aboard!!  How were the other wheels, the ones that sold for about $10 each?  I bid on those, but like a lot of the stuff, I couldn't tell the condition.  Did Wayne Mahaffey buy a lot of the stuff?  I hope so, as he will make the parts available to all who need them through his business.

Did you buy any of those repro manuals or mudflaps?
Rick

My8mm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 01:47:43 PM »
Hello, Thanks for the welcome. There where at least 4 out of the area buyers and I was not part of the "Club". One guy purchased a TON of parts, I believe that to be Wayne. Another guy from the either NC or SC purchased many rollers and I think the Yellow Restored One as well as the Scooter and Truck. The $10 wheels went local and they where VERY NICE. The bidder on the wheels will be selling them soon. He bought a semi-roller that needed a rear tire.  I was just running out of cash, I only brought 2k for the sale and purchased alot of tools as well as Simplex items.

My8mm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »
I did not buy any of the repops knowing that the market would be flooded with them in a short time. Only went for originals. The manuals I purchased were for the Simplex M Automatics and got them dirt cheap $35 for 3.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
Wayne is the smaller, bald gentleman.  You will not meet a nicer guy.  The short, heavier guy from out of town was probably Jim Lokia, another great fellow.

Here's a picture of Wayne on my bike.
Rick

My8mm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 02:11:40 PM »
Yep, He bought enough to fill a few trailers. Funny thing is I was just up in his area last weekend visiting my parents and my Dads Company is in Decatur. Dies he have a website? I have a feeling I am going to be purchasing many parts I passed over at the auction to put the Sportsman back together.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 02:33:05 PM »
No computer for Wayne.  Strictly call and order.  He also does not take credit cards, cash or checks only.
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »
I'm probably will have to stay off ebay for awhile just saw a rolling frame starting 660.00 w/ a buy it now of 1100.00 and he calls it a sportsman.  :'(

My8mm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »
Whats wrong with it? Did I describe it incorrectly? It's one I purchased at the sale and figured I had better list it now before everyone else.... Looks like I may get to keep my other roller ;D

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »
The sportsman did not have crash bars they only had foot pegs to rest your feet on. If it sports a serial # Rick could be more exact with year and make. I'm sorry I said what I said but I've live with a Simplex in my life from my young age. I just now getting to where I can have one for myself and the sale of Gary's things just hit a little close to home :-X.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 05:24:56 PM »
This bike is a '58 or early '59 model.  I believe there were a few Sportsmans built with crashbar frames.  Without any further physical evidence, it would be hard to prove how this bike was equiped from the factory. 

There were some unsold '57's which were sold as '58's and some unsold '58's that were sold as '59's, so these late model bikes are hard to pin down unless there is some provenance to go with it.
Mike Sal

My8mm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
Hello, I understand. This is my First motorcycle and always wanted a classic. No not the one I currently have on Ebay but the other Sportsman I bought at the sale. I never really knew of these bikes until last week and frankly Love the look and simplicity. I must argue the point of the Roll bars though, I did purchase a small lot of books (5) by Gary and in it he states the early sportsman had them and they disappeared after 57. Needed at least one general book and a service manual to have a clue of what to do.

My8mm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2013, 05:31:13 PM »
Mike, Thanks for the update there. I will correct the listing as I purchased this one as year unknown. Mark

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2013, 06:49:03 PM »
8mm, one thing to keep in mind about the books & info from Wollard is that even though it's the result of a lot of work on his part, it's not 100% accurate.  We are all in debt to his efforts to document all things Simplex, but there are a few places where he had to "guess" at some conclu
sions which have since been called into question. 

Let us know some details on your other bike (plus photos).  Yes these bikes have a classic look without costing a fortune.  The guys on the Victory Motorcycle Club site I frequent went gaga over the pictures of mine that I posted.  I even got one of them committed to coming to Portland this summer.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 10:47:27 AM »
Anyone get an invoice yet from the auction company?
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »
By some miracle did anyone at the sale happen across a copy of the long lost "Pat Williams" registry list?  Wollard's son told me he was sure that his dad had one, but had no clue as to where it was.

The biggest reason I regretted not going was missing the chance to snoop thru what might otherwise be discarded notes & contact lists from when Gary was still very active.
Mike Sal