Author Topic: Rim hoop straightening ideas  (Read 4945 times)

illMATTic

• View Profile
Rim hoop straightening ideas
« on: January 21, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »
My rear rim has a slight bend and is a bit out of round. The guy I bought it from re laced it with new spokes but the rim hoop is messed up. It was beyond truing on the stand. I have disassembled it.

One of the lips is about 1/4" lower than the other side in about a 8" section. It looks like it was maybe dropped or ran up a curb years ago.

What do you think the best way to getstraightight again before re-lacing? Do you think I could build a jig/mold out of wood and try to re-form the rim?

Thanks

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rim hoop straightening ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »
Maybe you can make some holding blocks from scrap wood which fit the profile of the rim.  Fasten 2 of the block assemblies to each side of the bent area (& fasten them to a base) & use the 3rd block as your bending mandrel.  Attached is a crude sketch of the idea.
Good luck
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:02:06 PM »
Mike ,
Good idea .

Maybe this will be a little easier to read :

If he applies a decent amount of heat , it will make the job much easier .
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:03:55 PM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:20:05 AM »
Yes. This is the route I was thinking about. I am glad you guys have the same idea. As soon as this cold weather breaks, I will try these ideas.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:19:53 AM »
PD, if it's gradual bend I'd think bending it cold would be better.  Less chances of winding up with a lumpy final product.  Now if the bend is abrupt, then I think heat would help him out.

10-4 on the cold weather.....it's hard to get motivated to go back outside to get anything done after I get home from work these days.  I've almost got the new garage building done so I can put some heat in it (none of the other building have heat.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:31:57 AM »
PD, if it's gradual bend I'd think bending it cold would be better.  Less chances of winding up with a lumpy final product.  Now if the bend is abrupt, then I think heat would help him out.

10-4 on the cold weather.....it's hard to get motivated to go back outside to get anything done after I get home from work these days.  I've almost got the new garage building done so I can put some heat in it (none of the other building have heat.
Mike Sal

Mike, since it is so cold outside, how about an update on the registry?  Just breaking your chops!!  Are you going to the Wollard auction?
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 09:24:40 PM »
Rick, believe it or not I'm actually working on the registry tonight.  I think it's been some hidden mental hang up that kept me from doing it (I used to work on it during my lunch hour at my old job......which is where the latest copy of the registry was.....my version at home was a rev behind.....).

I just pulled 38 bike frame numbers from the Wollard auction catalog & a dozen or so motor numbers.  The newest is 17425 (w/ older motor). 

I'm really torn about going to the Wollar auction.  I hate to spend the money just to watch other people buy stuff.  There just isn't that much I really need, as I dont' plan to add anymore Simplex's to the stable.  Do you know if Wayne or any of the Simplex "old timers" are going?  If I thought there was any chance that the parts were not going to good homes (meaning scrap & junk dealers only interested in junk prices), I would go to make sure the stuff is preserved.
Mike Sal

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 05:25:43 AM »
Mike, I spoke with Wayne yesterday, and he is going.  He told me Jim L will also be there.  I wonder how much of the stuff is usable?  It is hard to make an educated guess from the pictures that have been posted.  I think if the stuff goes cheap, then Wayne will scoop it up.  He would be the person I would like to see get it, as he will make it available to others.

I'm with you on spending the money to travel there, and deciding on wether to take the truck and trailer or fly and then ship the stuff home.  I think I may just buy a new O/U shotgun instead!

Rick
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »
I would love to go myself mainly for a tank motor and maybe a pair trans. I'm thinking about getting the one on ebay with the pin holes and cut it apart. Then have some molds made and press some new tank halves. If anyone would like a new tank for there bikes. Just saying.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Sorry wrong place  :'(

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 07:50:56 AM »
Welp, I cracked the rim right between the spoke holes. It is still not straight.  :-[

Unless I can find a nice used rim, I may just run the wider Simplex rim on the rear and a Worksman on the front.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 08:15:18 AM »
Welp, I cracked the rim right between the spoke holes. It is still not straight.  :-[

Unless I can find a nice used rim, I may just run the wider Simplex rim on the rear and a Worksman on the front.

There is one on ebay right now.  Also, Wayne just bought some.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 09:17:52 AM »
Here's the rim that's offered on ebay , now :

My front rim was bent almost identically , maybe a bit farther out , and here's my rim straightened :

I applied considerable heat ( red hot ) and accomplished an acceptable state of repair .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 09:30:41 AM »
See the problem I am having is the rim is not true, the bead is out of round, and there are dings in the bead area.

It looks like an old bigwheel front tire going down the road after it has been skid many times.   :D

I think the metal is real thin from being rusted out.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »
The one on ebay looks like it could be squeezed in a soft jaw vice, and get it close.  It is very hard to tell what you are getting by pictures though.
Rick