Author Topic: Tail light  (Read 4965 times)

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
Tail light
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:20:08 AM »
I'm looking for a Simplex teardrop tail light, but until the real thing comes along, does anyone have a suggestion about a similar looking style from some other motorcycle or ???? that could work and might be a little easier to find?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tail light
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »
Did Wayne purchase any of the teardrop type from the Wollard auction?  You might check back with him.  As far as substitutes, I' don't really have any ideas, other than maybe hitting some swap meets or farm supply stores.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:16:47 AM »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:56:01 AM »
Tom might have an idea. I seem to remember him telling me they used something similair as turn signals or cab marker lights back in the forties.
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 12:23:54 PM »
Well I looked at all that J P Cycles had to offer there's some meet ones but more than likely 12volts system  needed. :-[

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 12:54:01 PM »
Well I looked at all that J P Cycles had to offer there's some meet ones but more than likely 12volts system  needed. :-[

Could simply switch bulbs ... ;)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »
Unfortunately, a tail light wasn't among any of the auction items that Wayne had purchased. There are some good suggestions here. The more the better!

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 06:17:31 PM »
Those teardrop lights were used on old Fords as a marker light on the top of the cab.  Although they were made by the same company the Simplex lens was specific to our glorious ride because it had a clear area at the bottom of the  lens to light up the license plate. I think rides a little bit later than mine changed to a double filament bulb rather than two one filament bulbs. So no matter what position I have the headlight switch in one of the bulbs at the rear will light. 

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 08:50:43 PM »
Thanks everybody!!! It appears that Karjockey's suggestion would work best until the correct tail light comes along. I'll see if I can find one of these. Might as well start here. Does anyone have one of these? Also, Wayne informs me that there is someone that is making reproduction lenses. Not cheap, around $100.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 04:22:51 AM »
Thanks everybody!!! It appears that Karjockey's suggestion would work best until the correct tail light comes along. I'll see if I can find one of these. Might as well start here. Does anyone have one of these? Also, Wayne informs me that there is someone that is making reproduction lenses. Not cheap, around $100.

I think that would be Norm Burton, but I am not sure he is still selling them.
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »
If He's not selling more I wonder if He still has the set up to make them?¿? If so would He sell the rig?

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
I believe that Norm told me that he had them made.  I do not believe that he was personally involved in the process.  I'll ask him and post his answer!

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 12:45:04 PM »
Dominic as seen on ebay today #230927199264 looks to be a fairly good replacement for your lighting needs.  Reese  :P

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 07:14:58 PM »
Thanks for spotting this Reese. I've been waiting to hear back from a member on another site regarding a Zephyr tail light that he has.

old servi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 11:50:07 AM »
I will send you a photo of the tail light and lens I have.
pbvsrv@gmail.com