Author Topic: 40s tank mount  (Read 2180 times)

SIMPLEXUSA

• View Profile
    • Email
40s tank mount
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:24:12 AM »
Hello, I have a question reg. gas tank mount.  the front has the clamp that attaches to the frame tube. The rear of the tank has a hoop welded to it. The last owner made his own set up. What is the correct hardware to mount the rear? and does it run paralell with lower mount support or at an angle when done correctly?  i have gap on mine (1 inch or so).  a few detailed pics. would be great.  Thanks , Dan
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:59:22 PM by admin »

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 40s tank mount
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 01:11:32 PM »
Dan,  I have a '48 and will be to take pics of mine anytime you need them.  I think the 1938 model may have been the first year for mounting the fuel tank this way. Prior to that there was a stud at the front of the tank and a tab at the back.  The aluminum bar that the 'jack' bolts apply pressure to is hollow and the wires run through it. 

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 01:16:56 PM »
I have no brackets, loops, etc. on my tank and only the pressure of the aluminum bar pressing the tank upwards into the frame is what holds it in.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 01:50:44 PM »
Dan,  Find the Simplex 125 and servi-cycle manual posted in the manual section. You will see a good illustration of the "tank anchor channel". Plus check out what it says about the kick starter shafts.  It may validate your ride to be a late 1948(mines is early and has the bolt-in shaft) to late 1950  I think somewhere in the model L era(7/49-12/51) the ratchet clutch had a short debut.  You may want to find some earlier front fender supports to match up a little more consistantly with just one year.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 01:54:19 PM »
Dan, post a picture of the bottom of your gas tank. 

If you know how, resize the pictures to around 126KB and they will show full size without having to scroll.  I will take carte of the above pictures for you.
Rick

SIMPLEXUSA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies. here are some pics. of the bottom.(not sure how to change camera setting).I was not able to find the pic. in the 125 manual. what was the image number? I wonder why mine has the hoop? If i understand this correctly. the metal bar wedges the tank against the frame. doesnt this damage the paint.

SIMPLEXUSA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 04:02:16 PM »
second pic

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 05:17:01 PM »
Yes it does /can damage the paint . That's why some of us have installed weather stripping , or something similar , on the undersides of the frame where it would meet the tank surface .
Goes around , Comes around . :)