Author Topic: 2nd Simplex - No Frame Number?  (Read 3853 times)

dualquad425

• View Profile
2nd Simplex - No Frame Number?
« on: March 30, 2013, 08:34:16 AM »
So last summer I purchased another Simplex but need help figuring out what year it is.  Unfortunately it does not have a motor and I can't find any number on the frame like my other Simplex #14490.  From the pictures you will see that this is an early bike based on the seat spring, front forks, etc.  Interested in thoughts on this.

BTW, it was originally blue with the yellow wheels but at some point was painted rattle can black.  I can see the blue color is some places.

Thanks
Joel in Minneapolis
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:36:59 AM by dualquad425 »

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2nd Simplex - No Frame Number?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 07:09:52 PM »
  I can't say what year either , but it looks a lot like mine . I'd have to go check the boxes but I think mine was an L model engine . I have guesstamated mine to be 47-48 . But thats really only my best guess .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 09:09:06 PM »
It looks like a great starter but the motor mount looks funny or something different about it.  ???

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 09:36:20 PM »
They started applying serial numbers in '51.  They introduced the 2 inch rims & one piece front fender braces in '49.  I don't see a shifter on the left side (was it removed or was there never one there to begin with.....I'm guessing maybe it was removed when somebody changed the motor plate).  This narrows it down to '49 thru '51.  
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 03:56:50 AM »
I will go one further than Mike.  2" wide wheels did not come out until the model L, which was the second half of 1949.

If you look under the left floorboard, you should be able to see the shifter mount. It is a piece of round tube with a small disc on it. I think I can see it peeking out in one of the pictures.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:59:59 AM by RickS »
Rick

dualquad425

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 04:18:57 PM »
You r correct, it does have the round tubing under the left floor board which would indicate a shifter. How did the shifter work? Was there also a twist throttle on the handle bar? Or was speed controlled by the shifter?

dualquad425

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 04:27:33 PM »
If u take a look at the motor mount you can see that the frame is in tough shape. Clearly someone tried to repair the frame at some point and did a hack job.  Looks like I will have to find some quality DOM tubing, bend some new pieces and splice them in.

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 07:04:43 PM »
Well I am learning more now . Thanks Mike and Rick for the info you have added . I do have an L engine and one piece front fender braces,if you mean once part per side .
  Do ya'll know what years have the one side screw in gas cap ?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 08:39:21 PM »
Simplex was notorious for using up old parts even after introducing new parts, so there are very few stakes in the sand on when they made changes.  The bayonet style gas cap was introduced sometime in '49. 

The screw on gas cap (on the side) was introduced in mid-'43 (prior to that the cap was located in the center between the frame rails).
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 06:45:12 PM »
Joel, How's the rebuild going? Are you going back with a original motor if so I will be having one laying around from a donor frame. if you come to a point of needing one.

This is for Rick and Mike, When did they stop using the shifter brackets and when did they start break switches. Also the fender braces one peice on the front only what about the rear brackets?   ???