Author Topic: Sonrisers 55'  (Read 33351 times)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
Re: Sonrisers 55'
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2014, 08:32:42 PM »
Put gas to it tonight and got it running on it's own. Need to adjust the carb a little, but I started it up several times. Portland...here I come.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2014, 09:00:35 PM »
Still having trouble adjusting the carb, I can get it idling, but when I try to throttle it up it dies. Still need to put the transmission and rear fender back on, but would like to get it running right while it is still on the bench.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2014, 03:52:08 AM »
Can't tell for sure but it looks like your crank stuffer is on inside out. Does your cover protrude outward from the block?  Is that a dimple on the side of it? If so,  turn it around and put dimple up towards piston and in line with cylinder. I don't think an 'M' will run hardly at all without the stuffer in place.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2014, 04:17:37 AM »
Can't tell for sure but it looks like your crank stuffer is on inside out. Does your cover protrude outward from the block?  Is that a dimple on the side of it? If so,  turn it around and put dimple up towards piston and in line with cylinder. I don't think an 'M' will run hardly at all without the stuffer in place.

Tom, that is just a wood cover that James made.  Hopefully he has the stuffer under there.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2014, 10:23:14 AM »
That color combo reminds me of the mid-thirties Schwinn that I fixed up as a kid.  I painted it just like that & made a fake tank to simulate the motorcycle look of the old days.  I bought almost all of the parts, like spokes, etc, at the local Western Auto store.  That bike was given away along with my Simplex & other treasures by my dad when I wasn't home.....

Seeing all the interest now in the re-pop board track racers tells me I was just way ahead of the times......
Mike Sal

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2014, 10:40:22 AM »
Stuffer is in there, along with ugly original cover. Any suggestions as to how I should be adjusting the carb??? This isn't really my thing. Wants to die when I try to rev it. Tried what the M manual said as far as adjustment, and can get it idling good, but can't give it much throttle b4 dieing.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2014, 12:37:24 PM »
James, has the carb been rebuilt?  Is it a factory carb or a reproduction?
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2014, 03:03:12 PM »
I was told by 57 ford that it is a rebuilt carb from wayne.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »
If you know you have an adequate flow of fuel from the tank I would say the high idle circuit is plugged.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2014, 04:05:59 PM »
If you know you have an adequate flow of fuel from the tank I would say the high idle circuit is plugged.

I was thinking along the same lines.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
ooookay??? Common folk terms please.lol

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2014, 06:28:24 AM »
Sounds like that dern thing aint getting no gas!  Just joking!  However, it does sound like that carb as to come back off.  Review an exploded view of the carb. I would say there are some passage ways that are plugged. As you take it apart lay each part down one at a time in order. Make sure every small hole is clear. I like to use that canned air for blowing off computer keyboards and etc. Gives you better control and doesn't send little parts into orbit!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2014, 07:09:13 AM »
Like Tom said.  These carbs are about as simple as they get. There are not many parts to keep track of.  Remember, do not over tighten the needle screws, as this can destroy the needle and seats.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2014, 09:52:14 AM »
It was running gas out of the carb again, and the needle valve seemed to be seated b/c I couldn't blow thru the gas line. So I took the float off and adjusted it down so it would shut off sooner....Is there a chance that It is too low now???