Author Topic: Stretched and Lowered  (Read 52280 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stretched and Lowered
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2014, 02:20:34 PM »
Makes the base of the engine parallel to the ground and also the engine oil level from front to back.  Plus offers a spot to put my 'make-believe' starter when I figure it out!

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2014, 02:40:10 PM »
A couple of pics of my progress from yesterday. I went one step up on the rear bearings then the front.  They have a 3/4" ID and a 1 3/4" OD.  Then I tapped the shaft to accept 1/2 bolts and plan to use chain adjusters. The hub is to size width wise but the diameter is at +.050 and I will finish to size soon.  The sprocket bolts just showed up in the mail today and I was hoping so as I need to finalize the bolt circle for the sprocket.

I talked to Wayne about my spokes and have some coming plus an original crank stuffer. Although I made a damn nice version of one it is still not original. And I know it.  Rick, I think you know how I am about that kind of stuff!  Also have stainless exhaust material on the way. And although the engine has all the work done to it already I still need to order a cam for it. (and maybe a billet flywheel)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2014, 04:28:24 PM »
Tom ,

If you would , Please post a pic or two of that crank stuffer when you get it .

And , you might take a look at a jetski starter . They are fairly small and might just mount where you have the 45° in the front of the motor mount plate .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2014, 05:32:29 PM »
Spokes came today. Talked to Wayne on Sunday. That is fast!

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »
Whittled this out on the mill today.  Made of stainless to go along with the tube.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2014, 07:25:41 PM »
Good thing it's for someone you know , Tom . Or they'd have one of those 10,000 dollar bikes . ;)

Nice work .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2014, 08:02:03 PM »
A billet flywheel is cheap insurance for any motor turning over 3600rpms. Assuming your removal of the governor, you'll also want to upgrade your valve springs to prevent valve float when you do it.  Richer jets and emulsion tube also goes with free flowing air and exhaust.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2014, 04:18:12 AM »
I am with you on all of this. Ran some kart motors with all of that.  Logged into the middle 8K revs (and it just kept pullin'!)  This one won't be quite all that but here's what I have planned.  Fixed hub billet flywheel. Has the key way pushed up to 30 degrees to help with the cam profile(that's from stock 20 degrees). This alone will bring a B&S out of hybernation!  Stainless valves with Comp springs set. Pointless coil. .316" lift (stock is .232") so not drastic plus it has any easy lobe ramp so it won't be too harsh on the rest of the valve train. Flathead Briggs motors are actually harder on the mains then they are on the rod. This one has the ball bearings on the mains and a decent rod going in it.  I have a flat slide Mikuni coming that I want to try. Plus this carb should supply some of that 'abstract' look! It's had the ports all polished and matched. Not planning on revvin' it terribly and the ratio to the rear wheel should keep things calm. Plus I don't want something I have to work on all the time. Planning on getting it dirty!   

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2014, 05:44:02 PM »
Today's progress!  I should have the rear hub ready for bearings and spokes by the end of this coming weekend. I thought the sprocket looked a little more copesetic with 8 holes instead of just 4.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2014, 03:51:23 AM »
Wheels are off to the powder coaters.  Rear hub is done and just needs to be polished. Forget about walking on the moon....this is a giant leap right here on earth for this bike. After the rims are laced up there will be a few clearance checks then I can finalize welding on the frame. Whew!

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2014, 04:00:26 AM »
I also talked to a bike shop that will thread my spokes after I cut them to length.  Evidently spoke threads are rolled not cut. And after a closer look this does appear to be so with Waynes' spokes too.  I will build a quick jig to hook the hub end of the spoke in to, clamp the smooth part of the spoke in the vise(smooth jaws) and then let the mill cut them to exact length. Just 36 of them!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2014, 06:07:03 AM »
Tom, will you have it ready for Portland?
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2014, 06:18:31 AM »
I think so Rick.  Battling a carb clearance issue but I will get around it. Should all begin to click along once frame is welded. I am pretty sure I have all the parts I need now to finish the engine, etc.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2014, 09:02:28 PM »
Good luck on the threading those spokes. I tried some and it just didnt wont to go.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2014, 03:37:56 PM »
I got my spokes cut to length today.  So off to the bike shop on Monday to have them threaded..  Maybe spokes and wheels and hubs will all be ready at the same time so should be lacing the wheels soon.