Author Topic: What did you do to / with / about your Bike today ????  (Read 1419 times)

pd

• View Profile
What did you do to / with / about your Bike today ????
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:05:33 PM »
What did you do to / with / about your Bike today ?

Today , my Simplex is getting a major bath as it's raining hard enough to cool Haiti's gates and she's not under cover . :(

It shouldn't hurt too much , but I'm sure I'll find out exactly which nuts and or bolts I didn't clear coat .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to / with / about your Bike today ????
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:56:11 PM »
Nothing simplex today, went shotgunning instead.  Pete, are you back up north now for the summer?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 06:14:09 PM »
Yes , we are , Rick .
We plan on being here until no later than mid October . That's a bit late for me , but ...

We're managing two camps . Both along the Pere Marquette River . Being a world class trout stream and very popular with canoeists because of it's meandering ways , the river draws a pretty good count of campers .

We're about 5 miles West of Baldwin , Michigan . 

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:39:45 PM »
Got the spare carb out for my '48.  I have  a carb kit that I bought from Wayne last year that I need to put into it then change carbs. The '48 carb has all original components that were in it when I got the bike.  Just ready to change it out as the throttle shaft has a bit too much clearance in it.  Plus I received the T-6 aluminum tubes today in the mail that I plan to slip up the forks and the spring forks(?) to give it a different look. I will polish them in the lathe.  Where's a good place to get some stuff chromed?

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »
Tom  ,

These guys have been doing excellent plating work on bike parts since the 70s , maybe longer . They have always had a great reputation . I have seen a fair amount of their work and wouldn't hesitate to use them .

http://www.brownsplating.com/

Pete . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 02:37:03 AM »
The aluminum tubes are for my custom bike. The '48 will remain original.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 08:19:58 AM »
I/we have been building the exhaust. My plan was to build it as close to stock as possible...but my brother started it while I was at work...so it isn't exactly stock, but will look very close. He didn't have access to a big enough bender, so he heated it and bent it by hand, looks good, but would have been better if he used a bender. Does anybody have a good pic of a gas tank bracket? My bike had one before it was dissaaembled, but have lost it along the way,  I for the life of me can't remember what it looks like. Wayne has them for sale, but I would like to see if it is something we can make.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 08:29:44 AM »
Here's an end shot :

And a side view :

( I think I 'borrowed' this shot from Tom ( kartjockey ) . Thanks Tom :) )
The 'slot' on the underside is wide enough to keep the tension bolt centered .

I did mine a bit different . I took enough off the sides of the bolt head to fit the slot . It's a little cleaner looking and a single wrench is needed for tightening .

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 08:37:10 AM by pd »