Author Topic: predator 212 with comet cvt mounting?  (Read 3444 times)

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
predator 212 with comet cvt mounting?
« on: June 14, 2013, 06:24:18 AM »
HOW haveyou mounted a Comet CVT type clutch on a Simplex?

With the slanted cylinder the Comet hits the frame and almost dictates that the engine be raised up very high.

The ones pictured on this site seem to have the frame extended but I can't believe that.

There is a beautiful white one that even uses an electric starter but it fits mounting it at the original engines heigth. Are there different length franes?

HELP! Any ideas and pictures of sucessful mountings would help.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: predator 212 with comet cvt mounting?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 07:32:52 AM »
My truck is different than putting a cvt on a bike, as I run the cvt belt from the engine directly to a cross shaft to drive both wheels. I also have electric start, and I raised my motor up 1 inch.  If I did a bike with a gx motor, I would run a cvt to a jackshaft under the cylinder.  This would clear the exhaust, and you would not be limited to the plate mount they give you.  There are longer cvt belts available to put the jackshaft where you need it, not where the kits think you need it.

IMO, a Honda GC engine would be a much better choice for a simplex, as the exhaust is in front, the carb is in the back, just like a simplex motor.  Also, the cylinder is upright, and looks much better.  The only downside to a GC is the lack of charging stator for lights.  This could be overcome by running a small generator off the jackshaft to power lights.

Rick
Rick

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 05:44:06 AM »
Just received 212 motor mount from Wayne.

Good job!

Thanks Wayne

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 05:46:05 AM »
Just received 212 motor mount from Wayne.

Good job!

Thanks Wayne

Post a Picture!
Rick