Author Topic: Harbor freight predator 212cc engines  (Read 10730 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Harbor freight predator 212cc engines
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:43:34 AM »
Just some info on the Harbor Freight 212cc Predator engines...There are a couple "versions" on the market.  First the originals, then they (China) made some "Hemi" style, (plug in center of valve cover), then pre-June 2013 with their original crank/cam, and now they have gone to a Honda spec. crank.  Also if you plan on removing the governor and winding it out, you'll need a billet flywheel and billet crank for safety (engine specific!) and a set of heavier valve springs so they don't "float" at high speed along with .035 jet and free flow air filter and exhaust pipe.  When ordering those engine specific parts, just refer to the engine sticker for its build date.  A lot of go-kart racing sites have everything you'll need to build a stock 6.5HP/212cc motor (3600rpm) into a 10HP+ little "monster motor". (6000rpm+) for couple hundred bucks.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Harbor freight predator 212cc engines
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 02:14:37 PM »
Found a small problem today concerning my motor mount plate I had purchased from Wayne.  Nothing to do with his design but something "people" may want to be aware of when mounting a 6.5+H.P. engine. (Harbor freight 212cc, etc...)  When/if you plan on upping the performance and horse-power of your engine, you may want to either beef-up, or attach (bolt/weld) the ends of the mounting plate where the jackshaft bearings are mounted.  Upon inspection I found that due to the increase in power from engine mods I had done that the 1/4" plate had bent upwards on the left side on the mount.  I opted to straighten it out and weld a small tab to the end of the plate in order to bolt it to the vertical brace and stop it from flexing again.  I only did it to the left side because that's the side that is most affected by the torque transfer via the left side driven clutch and transfer pulley to the rear tire.   

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »
I did this install on a newer whizzer and took a bunch of pics...its kinda the same installation but I don't know where here to start a thread. I intend to do this to a simplex when I find one.....anyway here it is

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »
Here's the mount  we fabbed up
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 04:45:07 PM by racie35 »

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 06:02:51 PM »