Author Topic: vmbc portland  (Read 4294 times)

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
vmbc portland
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:51:18 PM »
is it just me or what. I just got my vmbc magazine. it had Portland pixs it it. counting the cover and back cover, there were 49 color pictures and NOT ONE SIMPLEX in the bunch. its always the same thing, Cushman, more Cushmans  and some more  cushmans and a small sprinkling of a wizzer. now I don't dislike cushmans, but it just seems that every month that magazine is all cushmans. they do have a national club, with there own magazine, why fill the vmbc mag with them.
after this month, I may not even renew. one more thing ild like to ask the members on here that went to Portland. do you feel iam way off base or is it just me. iam not trying to cause a stir, but enough cushmans in the mag. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: vmbc portland
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 03:03:08 PM »
  You are not off base.  They have always favored the cushmans, and give scant attention to everything else.  I find it funny that they will cover the Salsbury scooters, when there are about a half dozen there, but we line up 20 Servi-Cycles for a photo and get nothing!

This year I got after Darren about their lame website, and what could be done to make it better.   Maybe next year I need to stir the pot some more.  I did not see another large group get together for a photo op, and still no respect.

The only reason I remain a member is so I can get in to the meet for free.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »
Maybe this kinda says it all :

Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »
Don't give up all hope yet....there are still 3 more issues coming before the next Portland meet.....maybe we'll be in one of those.....

The magazine's sole purpose in life is to pay tribute to the convention......over the years there have been a few small articles about members or their projects, but for the most part, you can pick up a 10 year old magazine and a new one and they are identical.....I even pointed this out to Darren a while back.....the president's message and the VP's message were identical.....
Mike Sal

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »
Rick,
You are "on target" to nudge them along to cover a little wider variety.  I think that I might correspond with Bob Cantrell, the publisher, to encourage him to think about giving more exposure to other brands.  I do enjoy the magazine, but it definitely could do with an upgrade.  I would really like to see some articles about bikes/scooters that were produced in relatively small numbers.  I have two books that are a composition of many ads, but no articles about the history of them such as who the inventor was, a little about the history of the factory, etc, etc. As time goes by, we are loosing people who know this information.  If I was retired, I might take some of this on as a project.
Are any of you planning on attending Barber's Vintage races and swap meet?  It is located at their pristine museum (approximately 1,000 antique cycles & scooters) & AMA road race track in Birmingham, Alabama. This year it will start on Friday, October 11 through Sunday, October 13.  The swap meet is now up to about 500 vendors. If interested, google Barber's Vintage Festival. I would love to meet some of you at the festival. Over & out, Mike

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »
I was the newsletter editor for our local Studebaker club for 10 years.  Getting people to submit things to publish was like pulling teeth with no pliers (as a young kid I watched an older cousin pull a tooth with pliers.....not a pretty site...).  I don't think that would be an issue with this bunch, as there are lots of guys out there who have tinkered & invented on their bikes that would be good printable stuff.  I enjoyed the article about the guy who made the safety cycle (even though they goofed the article up a bit) from scratch.

Simplex has gotten some attention in the past, but we do have to face facts in that we are a small minority in the make up of the VMBC.

Darren had told me once that the editor was a little set in his ways & it was hard to get him to freshen up the content of the magazine.  He also told me there were a lot of articles still waiting to be included in the magazine, but since they won't change the current format, there's usually not room for them.

I guess I can't gripe too much.....I wouldn't want the job....been there done that.....
Mike Sal

rldebuse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:31:26 PM »
There are a couple of characteristics of the VMBC that don't seem to change.  The membership is primarily from Indiana, Ohio, and illinios; and the sustaining members are primariy interrested in Cushmans and Whizzers.  Terry Hawke one year got about a dozen Pony Cycles together for a picture that didn't make the magazine.  One year there were 7 Dyna Cycles set up together.  No picture of them either.  I have been sending pictures and literature to the editor for 25 years now, and every once in a while they use something I have sent in.  Most of what I send in never makes the magazine.  I have had much better luck sending things to the www.usscootermuseum.com site.  The Salsbury club really raised it's profile by renting the round barn.  I know they would like to sublet part of it.  Maybe some of the Simplex guys could get together and split the rent for half of the building for a Simplex gathering place?     

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 10:31:59 AM »
That might not be a bad idea.  It does seem we (the Simplex guys) are a little rag tag-ish as far as being organized at the meet (especially after being thrown off "simplex hill" this summer).  I'd throw in on the effort if we want to explore securing part of the building.  The Salsbury bikes would make cool neighbors.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 10:51:07 AM »
"(especially after being thrown off "simplex hill" this summer)."

What was that all about ? I heard nothing about it . What when on to end in that ?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 11:13:54 AM »
"(especially after being thrown off "simplex hill" this summer)."

What was that all about ? I heard nothing about it . What when on to end in that ?

It wasn't dramatic.  Portland is first come, first served.  Usually a few of the Simplex guys get there really early and stake out the "Hill".  This year, someone else beat them to it.

The problem with the Salsbury barn, as I see it, you can not camp right next to it.  The guys on the Hill like to camp right amongst the bikes.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »
"This year, someone else beat them to it."

So , somebody slept in , too long eh ? ;)

What ? They don't allow camping in the barn ? LOL