Author Topic: remounting of saddlebags and L.E.D headlight/brakelight  (Read 1150 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
remounting of saddlebags and L.E.D headlight/brakelight
« on: September 07, 2013, 06:48:33 AM »
Took my bike to car-show over the weekend and didn't get any serious offers to buy it, ($2500) so I ended up "tinkering" with a couple things this week that I had thought of doing but had never gotten around to.  First was mounting the saddlebags to the frame rather than having the throw-over strap covering up the nice, shiny fender.  Not to mention that I had to rivet a piece of aluminium to the strap to prevent the leather from burning on the muffler, which sometimes rattled.  Looks much cleaner now and using the 1/4" bolts and fender washers allows me to put more stuff into them without having to load them evenly.  I then decided to make use of some big, bright 9 volt flashing LED bulbs I had left over from another project and get the headlight working.  The "clone motor" I have doesn't have a charging system so rather than having to mount a 6 volt drycell battery somewhere, I was able to enclose the battery on a small clip inside the headlight bucket and run a small toggle switch to run it.  The draw on this LED was advertised as 30 day continuous and flashes approx. 60-100 times per second which really helps with getting noticed/safety while driving on the road.  At $6 for the pair of flashing LEDs including the battery clip couldn't beat the cost.  Now I will tap into that power source for the other flashing LED I'm using for the brake light. (the yellow turn signals, tail light and horn use a pair of AA in the control unit mounted on the handlebars.