Author Topic: Hello from Las Vegas  (Read 5362 times)

bohica2xo

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello from Las Vegas
« on: September 15, 2013, 11:44:06 AM »
Another "new' guy here.

I have been around motorcycles most of my life.  I have owned a few Harleys, some other brands too.  Last time I saw a Simplex rolling here was a decades ago.   I got in to motorized bicycles a couple of years ago.  Ran in to a local guy making board track replicas at Viva Las Vegas, and I was hooked.

Recently while poking around in AZ I saw what is left of a Servi-Cycle.  A quick look on the internet brought me here.

I am trying to decide if there is enough of the old bike + available parts to make it worth convincing the owner to sell it.

Anyway, that is how I wound up here.  looks like a lot of nice folks on a well laid out forum.

B.

pd

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 01:04:08 PM »
Welcome B. :)

Can you post a pic of the bike you're thinking about buying ?

Most parts are available and others can be made . One way or the other you can build a decent fun little bike .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

bohica2xo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 01:36:47 PM »
PD:

I was not carrying a camera that day.  Lots of old junk in AZ survives the rust well enough, bit the bike was somewhat picked over.

Engine is missing.  I understand original engines are probably scarce, but since I have been building board trackers with current engines I think I can get past that.

A bigger concern was the gas tank.  Are there any replacement tanks out there?

Forks were bent & the front wheel a D shape - looked like it rear ended a solid object at speed.

I already have several projects, I should post some pics of those I guess.

This is one of the BTR frames I am in the middle of finishing up:

B.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 01:55:26 PM »
There are no reproduction gas tanks.  Tanks show up an ebay once in a while, and usually go for around $200-250. 

Forks can usually be straightened, if not too bad.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »
That BTR project looks fun .

And that little motor might even look decent in a Simplex frame .

Pete . :)

bohica2xo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 08:24:14 PM »
Thanks guys.

I will not be back out in that part of AZ for a couple of weeks.  The owner said he might have the tank "someplace".  We shall see.

The little two stroke in the BTR frame might be a little weak.  I have a 50cc KTM clone that might work, or a 118cc 4 stroke that looks the part.

The lightweight, bicycle based machines are a lot of fun.  The one in the pic is pedal start with a hand operated clutch - pedal, drop the clutch & go.  Only good for 25 -30 mph, but with bicycle tires that is fast enough.

B.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 09:38:38 PM »
Keep us posted . ;)

bohica2xo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 10:46:54 PM »
Yeah, I know it has been a while..

The guy with the Simplex decided not to sell me the bike.  I went by his place in Chloride & he told me he thought it was "valuable", since he had located the tank for it.  I gave him my number, and asked him to call me when he had a price in mind.   The next time I was in his area I stopped by...  the bike was gone.  He sold it for 200 bucks. 

I was sort of bummed out on the whole idea & built myself a new sidehack instead:

Worked out all my frustrations on that job, so now it is time to look again for a Simplex.

B

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 06:16:38 AM »
Is that one of Pat Dolan's tanks in the Worksman frame?  I see you changed from the china 2 stroke to a honda 4 stroke, I bet that bike really moves now.
Rick

bohica2xo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 07:06:09 AM »
No, that is a Silver State frame & tank. 

Actually a whole new bike.  I started with a fresh frame & tank - I sold the bike with that chinese grenade in it.

The engine is a Lifan 118cc 4 stroke, turned so the cylinder points straight up.  I used a starter / generator from a golf cart to give me a 20 amp charging system as well as electric start.  With the side car attached it will cruise at 30 mph.

Been using it as truck lately - cheaper than the pickup for a quick run to the hardware store.

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 08:34:06 AM »
Worksman bikes now sells a btr...in with sports car pat...so a bit stretched worksman with the btr engine loop..tanks etc.     Silver state does em too...more affordable and just as nice

bohica2xo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 09:43:15 AM »
Bruce:

I much prefer the TIG welded Silver State frame.  Hard to beat a frame & stainless tank for $400

Scott tells me he has some new wheels in the works that will carry a lot more, sealed bearings etc.  Wish I could find a Simplex frame to work with...

B.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 12:24:04 PM »
Bruce:

I much prefer the TIG welded Silver State frame.  Hard to beat a frame & stainless tank for $400

Scott tells me he has some new wheels in the works that will carry a lot more, sealed bearings etc.  Wish I could find a Simplex frame to work with...

B.

What type of tire will his new wheel use?
Rick

bohica2xo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 12:34:49 PM »
Rick:

Sorry for the lag, I was busy getting ready for the Grange race. 

Scott is mounting Avon Speedmasters in the 21 x 3.00 size for a very vintage look.  DOT legal, and 26" OD

I will get some pics up soon.  The rims are steel, with a decent drum brake laced in.  I believe they would work well with the Simplex front end, just not sure how the belt sheave will match up in the back for you guys.

Brad

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 02:16:20 PM »
Thanks Brad.  Looking forward to seeing some pictures.  Those Avon tires should last a very long time at the speeds we do.
Rick