Author Topic: Brake Reline  (Read 4930 times)

.38 Spcl

• View Profile
    • Email
Brake Reline
« on: November 10, 2013, 07:02:06 AM »
Does anyone know of where I can get my brake shoes relined? It is for the English hub for a 1938.

pd

• View Profile
Re: Brake Reline
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »
Check with a decent brake shop . They should be able to get the job done .

Or , I think Wayne sells linings .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

.38 Spcl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 02:10:33 PM »
Check with a decent brake shop . They should be able to get the job done .

Or , I think Wayne sells linings .
Thanks! I didn't think anyone did that anymore!

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 03:10:15 PM »
Are they the same size as the later Simplex brakes?  If you look in the "wheels & tires" section, in the thread titled "Brakes", I've got some step by step photos of re-lining brake shoes.  Wayne sell new linings, but I dont know if they fit the early models too.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 03:14:37 PM »
Post some pictures!  These early bikes are very rare and we would like to see what the early brake looks like.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
Here are the pics Mike sent me of the brake parts.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 04:59:46 PM »
Those parts are well rusted . You might consider dropping them into a vat of Oxalic acid .

Here's an excerpt from my build thread :

Quote from: pd
I rec'd my order of wood bleach ( Oxalic Acid ) and thought it best to test it before I subjected my fuel tank for rust removal .

I mixed a rather mild solution for the test . Here are some before and after pics :

Before :

After :

The parts looked almost this good after just a couple of hours bath , but I left them in over night to see if the deep reaches would be 'taken care of ' . The pulley was totally rusted .

I pulled the parts and rinsed them in a bath of hot water , then let them dry . The Oxalic acid seems to eat rust and leave a protective coating . I wiped some of that coating off the rear brake plate . Also note that the acid does not effect painted parts ( a big plus ) .

This was an experiment for me . My Simplex had a bit of rust forming in the gas tank . Not too bad considering the bike is 55 years old . I'd read that different acids worked for removing rust .

I used muriatic acid to clean my XT350 tank with decent results . That tank did flash rust and I retreated it and then neutralized the acid ASAP . It still formed a small amount of flash rust . I'm running it with an in line paper fuel filter and haven't had any problems .

The Simplex tank is a bit more rare and harder to find . I was reluctant to use muriatic acid in it for those reasons . Through research , I read about oxalic acid , sold as wood bleach . Oxalic acid is a lot safer to work with , but still requires due caution ( READ THE LABEL ) . It's not nearly as toxic as muriatic acid . It does NOT harm painted surfaces . It just eats rust and leaves a protective coating on the steel after being thoroughly rinsed with water .

I used a diluted mixture from what is suggested , which is 12 ounces to 1 gallon of water . I used 12 ounces to 2 gallons of water . Being as the solution was weaker , I left the mixture in the tank twice as long and the results are shown below .

This is what I used :

Here's the rusted tank :

And, here's the tank after being filled with oxalic acid for a couple of days :

This stuff really does work great . I'll use it from now on when treating rust .

.38 Spcl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
Is this something I would pick up at Home Depot? As rusted as the parts are they still turn free!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:53:35 AM »
Wood Bleach ( Oxalic Acid ) ?

Yes , any decent hardware or home improvement store should carry it , or at least be able to get it for you . It's also available on Ebay :
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0&_nkw=Oxalic+Acid+&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 07:44:57 AM »
Hard to see from the photo, but your existing lining may still be serviceable.  If you do replace them, be mindfull that they probably contain asbestos.
Mike Sal

.38 Spcl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »
Thank You! I'm going to pull them apart and clean them up. To see what I have to work with.