Author Topic: Phelon lighting Coils Output  (Read 5439 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Phelon lighting Coils Output
« on: August 14, 2013, 07:16:37 PM »
Ok, everything looks normal on the coils, but it was a no go on any lights tonight when I got the bike running good.  I read in another thread that the output of a Wico light coil was somewhere between 2 & 8 volts.  Anybody measured a Phelon ?  I would expect about the same in volts, but I wonder how much power they have.

I ran an extra ground wire thru the frame & it's connected to the tail light housing, headlight housing, ignition switch housing, and magneto plate (the powder coating on the parts made me concerned about getting a good ground on everything.

The ignition switch itself checks out ok (the first one I got from Wayne was no good) too.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
Re: Phelon lighting Coils Output
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 08:05:12 PM »
I'm having the same problem , Mike .

My coils look good , but there are no lights . I also have run an extra wire for ground .

I've been looking around for a set of coils that will fit the plate . So far , nothing .
I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to rewind the old cores , just time .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:11:16 PM »
Does Wayne have lighting coils available for the Phelon?
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »
I didn't duplicate my wiring harness exactly like the original, as only 2 wires coming from the mag were in good condition & needed to be replaced.  I made bullet connections at each of of the wires coming from the mag (except for the ignition wire, which was still in good condition, so I left it in one piece).  I'll be able to unplug each wire to see if any of the 3 lighting coils is putting out any juice I cut off the translucent blue plastic from the connectors & used black heat shrink tubing to make the connections look more period correct. 

I've re-wound coils years ago when I had the bike shop.  It was common for guys to try to pry off flywheels with screw drivers & trhey would ruin the windings on their coils.  I worked for a company that had plenty of re-bond copper wire so it was easy to do it (other than taking time).
Mike Sal 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 07:54:24 AM »
Hmmm ,

Mike's Rewinding Service .

Has a nice ring to it ... ;)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »
Ya know, I've been setting around on my hands looking for something to do......:)

I've been rolling around in my head the best way to take measurements.....straping the meter onto the handlebars while I ride, or if I can have Sonya set on the bike & give it a little throttle while holding the brake while I take readings.....we'll see.  I think I'm too lazy to build a stand to set the bike up on while it's running (as well as I don't want to find a place to put it....).
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 10:42:15 AM »
Mike ,

Just loosen the spring on the right side of the transmission .

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:11:11 PM »
That was a good tip about the transmission spring.  I removed it which allowed me to start the bike & take measurements at the wires with the bike standing still. 

It also let me see that I've got a nice bright tail & stop light, but no voltage showing on the headlight wire.  Guess I'll have to pull the flywheel to see what's going on there.....
Mike Sal

David Stinson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 08:04:41 PM »
Mike, I realize that your original post was quite old and you have probably already solved your problem.  My bike also had no headlights when I got it and because the engine would run with the key off and die in every position but the "ON" position I discovered that not only the kill wire but the lights also were wired incorrectly on the switch.  After correcting the wiring, all is good.  Well as good as that weak headlamp can be.
David

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »
I had a issue when i first got my 57 running with the lights, mine was all ground related after doing the restoration i had to take a die grinder and grind some of the paint off where the head light mounts and also where the tail light mounts and the bolts that went through the brackets...after doing that no issues!
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 05:29:21 AM »
I had a issue when i first got my 57 running with the lights, mine was all ground related after doing the restoration i had to take a die grinder and grind some of the paint off where the head light mounts and also where the tail light mounts and the bolts that went through the brackets...after doing that no issues!

Same problem here. I powder coated my frame and had to run an external ground wire to get the headlight to work.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 10:43:15 AM »
I've been too covered up to pull the flywheel & work on my bike (those at Portland got to see my frustration when the bike decided to stop running). 

The extra ground wire I ran on my harness comes back to the motor....I don't ground anything to the frame (I also powdercoated the frame & didn't want to grind off a spot).  Everything is grounded to the motor.

I'll check out that switch.....the first switch I got from Wayne was wired wrong....maybe this one is too.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 01:34:01 PM »
I'm with Mike in that I ran a separate wire for grounding . No frame grounds needed .

Good luck Mike . I hope you find a simple solution .