Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 10707 times)

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
Introduction
« on: June 01, 2015, 09:17:55 AM »
Hello ... What kinda bee don't sting? ... A: a NEW BEE
I've just adopted a 1947 Simplex Servi-Cycle and awaiting delivery.
I've done a Lil' homework and it seems this Site is the SH!T when it comes to saving/restoring these vintage motorcycles. I've sold of my entire collection of Erector/Gilbert toy collection and now have this bike as a new hobby.
First off I'd like to getta hold of a Simplex Servi Cycle Operation and Maintenance Manual that covers 1947 bikes.any help would be greatly appreciated. I've already purchased a copy of Gary Wollard's book and am looking for any/all information to help me save this bike to it's original glory. I tend to be a purest at heart but I will fight to the death to preserve your right to do anything you want to these motorcycles (If you so choose)... just don't ask me to co-sign it.

Semper Fi,
GaryS
Never post anything on an open forum that you would not say in a crowded elevator.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 09:36:51 AM »
Welcome, post some pics and lets get this party started!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 10:51:10 AM »
Welcome Gary.  I have posted the 1947 Manual in the Manuals section, feel free to print it out.  Like James said, post some pictures!

Where part of the country are you from?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 07:40:21 PM »
Welcome GaryS .

Good you found us .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

butch27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 08:32:43 PM »
Welcome from S.E. Michigan.

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 08:52:28 AM »
I'm in Frederick Maryland ... and YES I will post some PIX.
If you wanna goto eBay and search #400916852767 then click on the "See original listing" tab you can see the pix I used to make my purchase.
I purchased it from Paul Olsen in Sulk Rapids Mn.
Never post anything on an open forum that you would not say in a crowded elevator.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 10:02:28 AM »
Gary, that is a late Model H, which was built through september of 1947.  A 1948 would have an engine number that starts with a 48-xxxx.  Too bad they didn't use that numbering system all the time, as it would make it much easier to date these bikes.

The front end has been changed to a late model style, which started in 1949, on the Model K.  The earlier models used a gooseneck, like a bicycle.  The wheels have also been changed to late style 2" wide wheels, which became available in on the Model L, in late 1949.  The gas tank is also off a later model, as 1947 would have had a single fill tank with fine threads on the filler neck.
Rick

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
WOW Rick ... you're quite the fountain of knowledge... Thanks for the shower.
so what you're saying is, I bought a FRAKEN-BIKE?
Ok Guys ... anyone wanna swap me my mis-matched parts for the real parts I need to make this thing more original?

GaryS

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »
Nothing wrong with a Frankenstein-bike.  Just get it running and come ride with us in Indiana at the VMBC meet.
Rick

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 07:47:01 PM »
Hello Gary and Welcome to the Simplex family . Enjoy your project . Many of these folks here do know this stuff.

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 07:20:08 AM »
Hey ... Thanx Guys for the warm welcome.
No disrespect intended Rick... just my kinda humor(Ha Ha) or maybe a feeble attempt to disguise my inter-struggle
between a search for knowledge and "Never joining a club that would have me as a member".
I'm 56 and I've been retired for 11 years. and in those 11 years I've learned ONE great thing... I HAVE THE ABILITY TO MAKE GOD LAUGH ... I just tell him my plans, and the plan is to save this bike so I may put it on the "REGISTRY" then have some fun with it. AMEN

GaryS 

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 08:28:38 AM »
Welcome from Indian Territory, Ok.  1947's my birth year &  a "perfect" restore just sounds right, though I'm currently butchering the heck out of my  old '57  frame! Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 09:55:42 AM »
No disrespect intended Rick... just my kinda humor(Ha Ha) or maybe a feeble attempt to disguise my inter-struggle
between a search for knowledge and "Never joining a club that would have me as a member".
I'm 56 and I've been retired for 11 years. and in those 11 years I've learned ONE great thing... I HAVE THE ABILITY TO MAKE GOD LAUGH ... I just tell him my plans, and the plan is to save this bike so I may put it on the "REGISTRY" then have some fun with it. AMEN

GaryS 

Didn't take any!  Restoring these bikes 100% original is very difficult, as some of the early parts a very hard to find.  Enjoy what you have a get it running. 

BTW, did they finally close the dragstrip in Damascus,  75-80 Dragaway?
Rick

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 12:45:40 PM »

GaryS 

Didn't take any!  Restoring these bikes 100% original is very difficult, as some of the early parts a very hard to find.  Enjoy what you have a get it running. 

BTW, did they finally close the dragstrip in Damascus,  75-80 Dragaway?

I haven't heard that old familiar Late Saturday Night thunder for quite some time. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 01:10:17 PM »
It's a shame.  They probably built houses on top of it.  I liked running there, as you could coast back to the pits after making a pass.
Rick