Author Topic: Purchased My Tag  (Read 2035 times)

David Stinson

• View Profile
    • Email
Purchased My Tag
« on: September 01, 2014, 01:54:35 PM »
I just purchased my tag so I can now ride my 1958 Simplex on the road.  I had a bill of sale from the seller, the title from the original purchase, and another title where it was transferred to another state.  Because it had never been registered in Georgia, I had to get a form and have a law enforcement officer come by and verify the VIN before I could get my tag.  When he came by and looked he was pretty adamant that the verification should be done using the number on the frame, which is different from the number on the motor.  After I pointed out that all previous paperwork referenced the motor number not the frame number he ran it under the motor number and it came back as not stolen.

Has anyone had an experience where your bike is registered under the frame number?  It seems odd to me that the bike would be registered under the engine, a component that you would expect may have been changed out over the last 56 years of use.
David

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Purchased My Tag
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 03:05:49 PM »
Mine is registered under the engine number also.  I not sure why I did that, as I could have used the frame number.  Here in NY, they didn't seem to care all that much.  I just had to give them a picture of the engine number, no verification needed.
Rick

WVbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 03:52:12 PM »
I live in West Virginia where I titled a 1956 model from a Illinois bill of sale. I had the frame number listed on the title. I also purchased a 1957 model that was titled in Michigan and it lists the engine number.  I was told that bikes are titled that way in Michigan.  I tried to have the frame number listed rather than the engine number when I applied for a new title but West Virginia would not do that. So I have bikes titled both ways

David Stinson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:30:26 PM »
So, just wondering if my bike had been fitted with a replacement Briggs & Stratton and I didn't have a title of any how would it have been registered?
David

WVbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 04:28:11 AM »
I would prefer that the frame number, rather than the engine number, be listed on the title when possible.  My thought being if the bike was stolen and an aftermarket engine (or a  replacement Simplex engine) later installed, I would have no way of proving ownership.  West Virginia does have a form that must be signed by a law enforcement officer verifying the VIN number when applying for a title from a bill of sale.  I plan to have this done and keep it with the title that lists the engine number.

rldebuse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 12:00:56 PM »
Most states used to ID all vehicles by their motor number.  They started changing to frame numbers after WWII.  Cushman changed to frame numbers in late 1947.  Early Cushman engines had a two-piece block with a separate engine base that had the SN tag on it.  This base could stay with the scooter when a new block was installed.  They changed shorty before coming out with their one-piece block.   The change to frame numbers by the states is likely why Simplex started putting a frame number on their bikes.  I wasn't aware any states still used engine numbers, except in antique vehicles.  I have had little success convincing a vehicle inspection station that there was no frame number on an old scooter, even when the motor number matched the title.  Nebraska, and some other states listed both the frame and engine numbers for a few years in the late 40s, early 50s.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 03:27:32 PM »
Along the same line ... I've been wondering if I can have my bike titled with just a Bill of Sale in Michigan .

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:29:30 PM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 10:07:51 PM »
Pd feel free to message me-I have registered a couple of Simplex's here in Michigan and know exactly what to do-no issues...you will need more than a bill of sale though!
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
Thanks relic .

I'll PM you .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Jeff L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 06:47:12 PM »
In Jersey we're Titled by Frame Number.If you have a Bike with no Title the process is a PITA.I'm going through this now on the 1st of 3 Bikes to Title.
If it came to you in a box it 's not Custom, it's just bought.