Author Topic: Exhaust  (Read 3705 times)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
Exhaust
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
Does anybody have a good picture of a dual exhaust? I was wanting to see if maybe I could make one, that would look like an original.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 07:31:41 PM »
Is there any kind of baffels in the canister of the exhaust, or is it just hollow?? I read somewhere that there might be some kind of restriction on the pipes, but can't find it again. As much info on the exhaust would be very helpful. Thaks.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:42:28 PM »
The can is hollow.  In the wollard book, he mentions that a restrictor was used in the end of the tips, but nobody on this site has found any that had any plugs or restrictors.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 09:19:55 PM »
I put a cross plate in mine that separates the inlet and exhaust tubes . The plate has slots cut in the ends and the 'fingers' are bent , opposing . That allows plenty of room for exhaust travel and calms the tone of the exhaust . to mellow it a bit more i stuffed a couple of steel wool pads in each end .

Now it sounds much more acceptable .

I also run an inner pipe in the tube that attaches to the manifold . It just dumps into the can , but the outer tube stays nice . No discoloration at all .

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:40:06 AM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 06:17:09 PM »
Thanks, for the info guys. That is a cool looking exhaust PD thanks for the pic, did you make it yourself? How does the pipe fit into the manifold? My manifold don't have any bolt holes or anything to hold it in. Is the whole exhaust held in place by the mounting tabs??

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 09:12:23 PM »
Thanks . Yes , I made that one . The pipe you see in that ^ pic is the outer pipe and fits over the manifold . Like I said in the last post , I also use an inner pipe that slides into the manifold . Both are held in place by a single bolt through the front of the pipes and manifold . I ran a screw through the tip of each exhaust pipe and into the motor mount plate . So , when all screwed into place , my exhaust is attached at 3 points .
 Here's a drawing from the manual , showing the single manifold bolt :

I wonder why yours has no mount bolt . As far as I know the OEM muffler is held in place via a tab that attaches to a motor mount bolt .
Here's the manual drawing of the dual pipe exhaust :

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:16:24 PM by pd »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 05:09:37 AM »
I put a cross plate in mine that separates the inlet and exhaust tubes . The plate has slots cut in the ends and the 'fingers' are bent , opposing . That allows plenty of room for exhaust travel and calms the tone of the exhaust . to mellow it a bit more i stuffed a couple of steel wool pads in each end .

Now it sounds much more acceptable .

I also run an inner pipe in the tube that attaches to the manifold . It just dumps into the can , but the outer tube stays nice . No discoloration at all .

Pete, I like the idea of the double pipe!  It should help keep some of the oil in the pipe and not on the front of the engine. 

Why did you build your muffler with twin exhaust pipes?  The original stubby style only used one.  Where you looking for a performance advantage or just for looks?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 07:37:41 AM »
Rick ,

The inner pipe takes the brunt of the heat and keeps the outer pipe looking good . No paint burn like on a single walled pipe . After running numerous times until hot , the outer pipe looks like I just put it on . And , I used regular old flat black non heat resistant paint .

The dual tail pipe is the result of my not being able to bend the pipe I planned on using for dual long pipes . I already had the muffler can drilled and ready to accept the dual pipes , which left two holes to fill .
The dual shorty pipes are not very noticeable when mounted on the bike .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »
I had my exhaust coated with a high temp header coating.  It looks as good today as when it was done.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »
As it should , Rick . That's what you paid for .

I might have 30 or 40 cents invested in paint . ;)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 10:09:42 AM »
I had mine powder coated.  We'll see how it holds up.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 10:25:34 AM »
Powder coat seems to hold real well on exhaust systems , Mike . It's doubtful you'll have problems with it .
At least , it has proven a top performer on one of the motorcycle sites I moderate .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 10:43:42 AM »
Mike, is it regular powder coat or the Hi-Temp stuff?
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 05:38:06 AM »
Powder coat shouldn't work well......ceramic heat coating will last years

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 12:56:59 PM »
I put a set of Waynes re-pop spiral covers over the outlet manifold, so it shouldn't matter if the powder coat breaks down on it.  I'll be interested to see just how hot the "can" gets before I worry about the finish on it going bad. 
Mike Sal