Author Topic: choke cable  (Read 1332 times)

Shifter

• View Profile
    • Email
choke cable
« on: October 28, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »
Anyone ever do a repair to a choke cable before? My cable was cut short by the previous owner to fit an aftermarket carb and now that I have the correct carb it is too short. The cable goes in to the shaft and it looks to be crimped in it.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: choke cable
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:02:16 PM »
Yes.  You can use a small drill bit and remove the rest of the wire that is crimped into the shaft that the knob is attached to after cutting off the wire flush. To reattach the new wire  silver solder the new one in and  crimp it a bit before you do. The casing to the cable offers the same challenge. Once the rest of the casing is removed from the threaded body you can attach it the same way. To crimp it look for a pair of crimping pliers for electrical connections or just silver solder it. Depends on what kind of casing you are hoping to use. 

Shifter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »
Perfect, thanks for the info that's exactly what I will do. I know Wayne probably sells the cable new but I like to keep it original as much as possible.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »
And , it's a lot more fun / rewarding making it work yourself as opposed to buying ... ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 12:02:59 PM »
Piano wire works grate for motorcycle cable.
It is vary hard to kink is like a spring. Gramps
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Shifter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 03:09:34 PM »
Did this repair today it worked and it's as good as new. We should start a tech section for such repairs.